Sonos newbie - what should I purchase?

• 11 August 2017
  • 3 replies

So I think I'm going to take the plunge and invest in a Sonos setup as our little one is getting to the crawling stage and grabbing at everything within reaching distance lol. I'm thinking less wires the better! I'll pack my Denon/Klipsch 5.1 system away for now until I can dedicate a media room to it.

We are currently in an 1100 square foot apartment and our living/kitchen area is somewhat long and narrow. My initial thoughts are to purchase the playbase as it will sit nicely on the mantle (14.5" wide). I would then mount my 55" LED TV above it. Our mantle is a bit high (4') and viewing distance only 10' away so I prefer the lower profile of the playbase vs the playbar as this will enable me to mount the TV as low down as possible. I would then also purchase the sub and 2 play 1's to use as surrounds. This may be over kill for my apartment, and I fully understand it probably won't match my current setup, but not wanting to be disappointed in the sound and wanting a 5.1 experience I feel like this is probably the way to go.

I'd also like to purchase either 2 more play 1's or a play 5 to use in my bedroom or on my balcony when using it.

Am I on the right track here?

What would you recommend for bedroom / balcony setup?

Thanks in advance for any input 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Start with one play 1 unit and build from that based on how it works for you. It won't do TV, but will give you a fair idea of how the system works using the versatile building block that the 1 unit is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Give the Play:3 a look for the bed and bath if the Play:1 isn't doing the job, it is much more compact than the 5 and does a great job in a 10x10 bedroom or as a chair-side speaker on my patio. If you want party level sound then the 5 may be your answer.

The Play:3 also make nice surround speakers, a bit of overkill just for TV viewing but if you use them grouped for music playing you'll likely appreciate the better sound.

Did you consider the PlayBar mounted above your TV to keep the picture height lower? You could also go with a "mantel mount" TV bracket that allows you to have the TV tucked up or dropped down a couple feet if you want it lower while watching something. You might be able to mount the playbar to the mount instead of the wall too.

Mount: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15618
Badge
I just purchased Playbase with Two (2) Play 1's. I held off on the Sub for now. I am very impressed with the sound, super easy to setup, the integration with music services and the app. I had previously a wired 5.1 (anchored with some Totem floor standing and center speakers) and decided it was time for flexibility and streaming capabilities. Plus, i wanted something that my wife could just turn on and it would work. Problem solved. I am extremely please after the first week. I held off on the sub to save the $700 for now and I have to say, it sounds pretty damn good. I suspect in your small apartment, you may not miss it. Save the $ on the first purchase and see what you think. Better to spend the money on additional speakers for the other room. The great thing is that it will be easy to add the Sub later. Hope this helps