Question

sonos Five sound quality vs gen2 play 5

• 14 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 46 replies

I know Sonos says the new Sonos five “offers the same listening experience as the play:5gen2”

to my mind this is not the same as saying they sound the same. Have they improved the audio? 

I doubt they are exactly the same acoustically. The play 1 and Sonos one sound different despite being told they are the same. Doesn’t matter if they use the same drivers, even a change in weight to the product will alter the sound. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I know Sonos says the new Sonos five “offers the same listening experience as the play:5gen2”

to my mind this is not the same as saying they sound the same. Have they improved the audio? 

I doubt they are exactly the same acoustically. The play 1 and Sonos one sound different despite being told they are the same. Doesn’t matter if they use the same drivers, even a change in weight to the product will alter the sound. 

Nobody from Sonos ever claimed the Play:1 and One sound the same. Matter of fact, Sonos stated the reason they couldn’t be stereo paired was because they were sonically different. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Nobody from Sonos ever claimed the Play:1 and One sound the same. Matter of fact, Sonos stated the reason they couldn’t be stereo paired was because they were sonically different. 

Your right. except you’re not. 

they said it here 

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/introducing-the-new-sonos-one-6791304/index1.html#post16149491

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

But anyway my question was about the new five. 

Same “sound quality” is not necessarily the same sound sonically.  Here’s what the very same mod said about pairing the two:

While the Play:1 and Sonos One share a similar appearance and sound, the two are aesthetically and acoustically two different speakers. Stereo pairing the two is not possible through the Sonos app.

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/play-1-stereo-pair-with-sonos-one-6791376

Five uses the same drivers as Play:5, and my understanding is that Five was deliberately tuned for the same acoustic performance. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I don’t know why Sonos says they sound the same but I don’t think they do and have seen others say the same especially on the Sonos Reddit.  The Fives have better detail.  Airplay is more reliable by far and songs stop and start faster all probably because of the upgrade internals.  I’d take 5’s over the Play 5 any day even if the Play 5’s were at a discount.