Answered

Sonos Connect/Port and existing 3.1 system

• 16 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi everyone, 

I would like to enter Sonos world by taking a Connect/Port and connect to my existing Yamaha 3.1 system (receiver soundbar and subwoofer yht-s400). Moreover I also have a turntable to connect to.

The question is: if I also add 2 sonos one, can I combine all together to obtain a 5.1 system, Connect/Port to 3.1 system plus surround speakers sonos one? I obviously would like to use them all in one room. Could the configuration work or could the signal have delay between sonos speaker and the existing old ones? 

And to add also TV do I need a sonos amp to have hdmi in? 

Thank You very much for the help…

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 October 2021, 23:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No, the setup your proposing cannot be used as a 5.1 HT setup - the best you could hope for, is to group the ‘Ones’ with the ‘Port’ for stereo audio playback - it should be fine for Sonos music sources, but you will find the TV audio via the Yamaha Receiver speakers will be out of sync with all your Sonos devices, as there is an element of audio buffering - I suspect the delay will be in the region of 35-75ms and will likely cause an echo/lip-sync issues with whatever is playing on the TV screen.

Thanks for the quick answer...what is the cause of the audio buffering you spoke about? Did you consider the yamaha receiver connected to sonos port and the TV connected to sonos amp? Is that the cause of buffering?

With other brands, just as yamaha wxc-50 and musiccast 20 (same configuration but no need of port and amp together, wxc-50 has all needed connections), maybe the issue could be gone?

Many thanks

The cause of the audio buffering on a Sonos analog line in is due to the need of the Sonos system to be able to play in sync across any other Sonos device on the network. The only way to get around some of that delay is to use a Sonos Home theater product with a digital input, but you’re still subject to that same delay when you group any speakers outside of the logical entity that is the home theater room, for the same reason. You’re still needing to synch up to 32 speakers on a 2.4Ghz network, so the delay is built in to the system.

Sonos products with that quicker digital input, via HDMI-ARC, are the Sonos Amp, the Sonos Beam, and the Sonos Arc. Because they use that HDMI-ARC input, they also can process higher than stereo signals. Dolby Digital at the least, the Arc can do Dolby Atmos. 

Ok you cited as a cause of delay the analog line... But if I connect the TV to sonos amp via hdmi, as described, and group amp plus receiver and sonos ones as a home theater room, the delay should be minimized. Or am I wrong?

Moreover about the analog line:

the conversion AD needs to add buffering to play in sync, as stated. 

In this case I don't have TV, I have a turntable to the port so no need for lip sync. The delay should be the same along all the group, as it is the port that manages it: the port has a digital connection to the receiver so no delay here, and when it sends to the same logical room group I don't expect delay. Or am I missing something? 

​​​​​​Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is just not a very good idea to mix’n’match Sonos and non-Sonos device when it comes to home theatre. For example: you buy an Amp and connect it to the TV’s HDMI-ARC, to what will the Yamaha system be connected? So is either will not work, or will result is a delay (when using Sonos’ “grouping” feature instead of “bonding” an Sonos HT set up).

Connecting an Amp and a couple of non Sonos passive speakers via HDMI to your TV and bonding (the correct Sonos term) this to Sonos surrounds will result in a 4.0 setup, 5.0 if you count the phantom center the Amp computes. No need for the Yamaha, but you will have to buy an Amp with passive speakers, or a Sonos soundbar.

For example: you buy an Amp and connect it to the TV’s HDMI-ARC, to what will the Yamaha system be connected? So is either will not work, or will result is a delay (when using Sonos’ “grouping” feature instead of “bonding” an Sonos HT set up).

I consider in my idea yamaha system connected to a Sonos Connect/Port. So in this case, if I understand well, I have to group the port to the Sonos Sorround having so a delay, instead using directly an amp with passive speakers I could bond to Sonos surround...Is it correct?

Thanks... 

For example: you buy an Amp and connect it to the TV’s HDMI-ARC, to what will the Yamaha system be connected? So is either will not work, or will result is a delay (when using Sonos’ “grouping” feature instead of “bonding” an Sonos HT set up).

I consider in my idea yamaha system connected to a Sonos Connect/Port. So in this case, if I understand well, I have to group the port to the Sonos Sorround having so a delay, instead using directly an amp with passive speakers I could bond to Sonos surround...Is it correct?

Thanks... 

Your TV would first need to support dual audio output to both its HDMI-ARC/eARC port (not HDMI) and also to its optical port at the same time and your Receiver and Sonos Amp connected to either one of those ports, but I still doubt, even if you can set that up with your TV, that the audio may still not play in sync. Most (not all) TV’s appear to support audio out through either the Optical or the Arc.eARC connection - so if you do decide to try it you will want to check that your TV supports dual audio output over those ports. My thoughts are you will still likely get an echo effect, but nothing ventured etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not completely sure what you are saying.

A Port or Connect cannot be connected as part of an HT set up, at least not when you want surround. Grouping will not get you surround, but stereo, plus a delay (even when you group from an Amp because the way grouping works differs from the way bonding works). Using the analogue out on the Amp to connect to the Yamaha will also reult in a delay.

If you's buy an Amp with passive speakers or a Sonos soundbar with surrounds and forget about using the Yamaha, you will be fine. If you want to connect the record player the Amp is the best choice as is has an analogue in, that the soundbar does not have. You coul\d also use a Port for the record player if you want a Sonos soundbar in your surround system. Th Port would connect wirelessly to the rest of the Sonos devices in the group function.

Ok now it's completely clear to me. I didn't know the difference between grouping and bonding, it's not so easy to find this info, considering that I don't have any sonos device now in my home…

Not completely sure what you are saying.

My wrong idea was: TV to hdmi in of the amp that sends signal over the network to the system composed by port connected via coaxial out to the yamaha receiver and a couple of sonos ones…

I would have wanted to save yamaha receiver for some time while taking the different pieces of a sonos system, for example a soundbar in the future...and subwoofer. The overall installment is quite priced to buy all together... 

Thanks