Answered

Sonos Arc surround - is my living room fit?

• 1 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi

With great enthusiasm I have read the reviews of the Sonos Arc. I am looking for a Dolby Atmos setupthat both sounds good for movies and music and looks good (wife friendly). The reviews suggest that the Sonos Arc + 2x Sonos One + Sonos Sub meets these requirements.

The only thing that keeps me from pressing the buy button is my doubts about the dimensions of my living room. The room is not rectangular and low-ceilinged. Below you see the details.

Will a Sonos setup be a good solution for me and will Atmos work? I sure hope so.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 April 2021, 23:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

What model TV do you have?

Your room will work fine for a 5.1 home theater setup, but because of your ceilings, you won’t experience much of a height effect from the two upward firing speakers of the Arc when watching Dolby Atmos content. You will also experience a more pronounced surround effect from the right side because of the positioning of your TV and sofa.

Thanks for your reply. That is what i feared. I think i have  to find another solution - i just have no idea what to choose. 

The photos are old. Today i have a LG CX 65” with HDMI eARC.

Userlevel 7

The Arc/Sub/Ones setup will still sound great in your room. And Dolby Atmos is more than just the height channels.

What are you specifically looking for in a home theater setup?

Im looking for great surround sound and bassfor movies and airplay 2 for music streaming in a wife friendly small design (big speakers are a no go). 

Userlevel 7

Im looking for great surround sound and bassfor movies and airplay 2 for music streaming in a wife friendly small design (big speakers are a no go). 

I think the Arc/Sub/Ones setup is still a great option for your room. It is compatible with AirPlay 2 and looks great. And you aren’t going to get really convincing height effects from a couple of upward firing speakers even with flat 8 ft ceilings. I have 8 ft ceilings and I can barely hear anything above me from my Arc.

I am a little concerned about the acoustics of your room though. There are A LOT of hard surfaces that isn’t ideal for audio. I would introduce some softer materials like an area rug, drapes, or wall treatments to help absorb some of the sound. Also, if you can shift your TV a little closer to the center of the room, that would help with the balance.

One more thing… get the One SLs instead of the Ones to save some money. You won’t be able to use the voice assistant on the Ones when they are connected as surrounds.

Thanks GuitarSuperstar.  

I will continue my research for a short while and see if i can get Atmos with no compromise. If nothing better comes up i will buy the Sonos setup, and have your other great advice in mind!