Answered

Sonos ARC + 2 AMPs

• 6 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Here is the thing: Im planning on buying a Sonos ARC soundbar for my TV room, I will add the subwofer also, and also the ceilling speakers with an AMP, and as I have been reading, I will connect my ARC soundbar to my tv thru hdmi arc or earc, and the ARC will pair with the AMP which will have the ceilling speakers connected, right? By now everything is good, butttt I will also like to add a pair of sonos outdoor speakers, so I can hear an sports game indoors, but also outdoors, or sometimes music indoors and the game outdoors, or vice versa.. my question is: is this possible? Will the ARC soundbar be able to connect to both AMPs? Will all of these sound scenarios possible?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by John B 6 October 2022, 10:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi. The basic answer is yes, mostly.  But to give you the full picture I am going to have to be pedantic about some Sonos terminology.

The first Amp is said to ‘bond’ with the Arc, as does the Sub.  They become a single unit in the Sonos app, called a ‘room’ in Sonos terminology.

The second Amp and outdoor speakers will be the second ‘room’ in your system.

You can ‘group’ the two rooms together to play the same audio.  If this is TV audio then the audio won’t synch perfectly between the two rooms, although the lag is only around 75ms.  You may be able to adjust this away, but at the expense of perfect synch between video and audio.  For non-TV audio (e.g. streaming services, internet radio) the synch will be perfect.

The one thing you cannot do is have the TV audio outside and another source playing on the TV ‘room’.  The best you could do would be to mute the indoor audio.  The only way to get the TV audio outside is to group the rooms, which means the same audio in both rooms.

If the rooms are ungrouped, you can play TV audio or other audio on the TV room, and different other audio outside.

Grouping and ungrouping can be accomplished in seconds on the app or by using Sonos Voice Control through the Arc.

I hope that makes some sense!