Answered

Sonos amplifier

Home wifi, 2 Sonos speakers working well. We have a turntable and a DVD-player (that we use to play CDs but the amplifier and speaker connected to the turntable and DVD/CD player are very old.

I want to stream the turntable music and music from CDs through the SONOS speakers. Can I simply obtain a SONOS amplifier and just plug both devices into the SONOS amplifier and have the music appear in my SONOS speakers?

Thanks for advice! Michael S

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 May 2022, 10:08

View original

3 replies

The only reason you’d need a Sonos Amp is if you want to drive a set of non-Sonos wired speakers. You’d likely be served better by a Sonos Port. Or, for that matter, a Sonos Five, both of which have a single line in. 

Since you have two devices you want to connect, I’d suggest a simple switch that you can flip. Remember, the turntable will likely need a pre-amp to get the output to line level that feeds the Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @emvales Parkland 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The Sonos Amp is a unit that requires passive speakers to be wired to it in order to play - from what I understand, this isn’t really what you’re looking for. Instead, you’d want the Sonos Port - this has no speakers, an input and an output. It’s intended use is to be connected to a Hi-Fi where it can either stream from online sources, to be played on the Hi-Fi, or it can take whatever the Hi-Fi is playing and pipe it through to your Sonos system.

However, you may fair better with a self-enclosed speaker that also features Line-In, such as the Sonos Five, as you get an additional speaker for your money. The Five has a 3.5mm jack input. Note that there is no Line Out.

Please note that none of our devices have multiple Line-Ins, so if you wanted to switch between turntable and CD, you’d need to swap cables. If, however, they are connected to, for example, Tape Out from a Hi-Fi, the input would be selected by the input selector on the Hi-Fi. Or, if you had a pair of Sonos Fives, they could be set up as a stereo pair, and each one could have one source device connected to it - they’d both work.

I hope this helps, and that I’ve been clear - if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate.

Edit: @Airgetlam got there before me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I hate swapping cables, wear and tear and the possibility of breaking a non-repairable connector.

Lots of RCA switchers available, passive ones are inexpensive and don’t alter the signal. Here is the first hit on my search that sounded decent to me. You can also use an AV switch, just ignore the video/yellow connections.

https://smile.amazon.com/PROZOR-Bi-Directional-Channel-Splitter-Selector/dp/B099WMC1DJ/ref=sr_1_20