Sonos Amp (New December 2018) Initial Review

• 6 December 2018
  • 3 replies

I thought I'd post a brief writeup of my recent purchase of the new Sonos Amp with the aim to help those on the fence make a call based on others' (admittedly subjective) experience.

The sound from the amp is fantastic. I have paired it with a pair of Bowers and Wilkins DM601 S3 speakers; previously paired to an NAD 3020 unit. The different is imperceptible to my ears. That is the highest of praise as the NAD is a fantastic amp too. There appears to be ample headroom with 125 watts per channel, though I haven't gone beyond 40% out of respect for my neighbors.

Good job Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yeah, this setup has served me well for a long time (and it's about as physically large as the wife will allow). Apart from some weaknesses in the HDMI department it's hard to complain.

Thanks again for the info!
Hey, no I’m not running it in a surround setup; just running the amp in the office as a stereo pair, with one eye on adding a turntable at some point to allow us to stream vinyl audio to the rest of the house.

Those 683s are great speakers too!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks for the quick write-up. I'm currently pushing B&W 683s with a Pioneer Elite SC-05 (130W/channel), which is a little long in the tooth but still a sweet-sounding unit that I'd really like to hook into my Sonos setup.

I'd been eyeing the new Amp, but I think the lack of a true center channel and a number of surround specs are probably show-stoppers for me. I'll probably give the Connect a try, but are you running a surround system through the Amp?