Question

Sonos Amp and B&W CM7 floorstanders

• 27 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

My system currently consists of a Synology NAS + [Sonos Connect + Lindemann DAC + Creek Destiny amplifier] + B&W CM7.

I am thinking of going minimalist by replacing three components in the bracket with a Sonos Amp.

I know that specs-wise the Sonos Amp is powerful enough to drive my CM7, but I am not quite sure of its musicality, i.e. sound stage, balance, details, etc. when compared with my DAC & Destiny setup. I have read the forum and found a few reviews on Sonos Amp and floorstanders but it does not seem to be a very popular setup.

Any insight and experience on this matter is much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Very curious to hear about what you will think of the difference if you do go ahead!

I have sold my Sonos Connect, my Lindemann DAC, my Creek Destiny, bought an Amp and paired it with my B&W CM7.

Yes, it is not as good as it used to be. With 125W per channel, the Amp drives my floorstanders effortlessly. But the soundstage is not as wide, the bass is not as well-controlled, and the vocal’s texture is not as detailed.

Nevertheless, the minimalism it brought is worth it. I am willing to sacrifice some fidelity for simplicity. And the HDMI Arc is a huge plus, considering that I can now get rid of my standalone 5.1 home theater system, too. I already have two Play:1 to function as rear channels.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I use AMP to drive my B&W 705s2 speakers (bookshelves on stand). This is part of 4.1 set-up with Sonos sub and 2 Play:1s. I have little comparison as to how AMP holds up to other amps or receivers, since my set-up basically replaced stereo pair Play:5 with sub. The Play:5s now do their duty in other rooms. The direct cause for the change was that I wanted optimal Sonos integration with my new TV (Samsung q950r). In addition, I had always wanted to upgrade my Hifi experience. I did not want two systems and I certainly did not want to have a soundbar for main music listening.

For me, the 4.1 set-up is a winner in all respects. Is a huge step up from the 2.1 with Play:5 for music and is no comparison for home theater with Beams I have in other rooms with a TV. However, neither Beam has surrounds or sub, so it really is no comparison. 

Your question will be, however, how AMP compares to other alternatives. Coming from a dedicated Sonos household already this is difficult to answer. I did do some comparisons when I purchased the B&Ws. The shop had one pair set-up with AMP and another pair with two high(er) end NAD integrated amps. I listened for a few hours and sure there were differences, but that will also had to do with the fact that both set-ups were in different rooms. In any case, I just loved the sound of the B&Ws and was definitely better than what I had previously. When I decided to stay with Sonos the audio shop said ‘just start with AMP and maybe we will see you back in 6 months to upgrade’. I have not done so, even though I will at some stage likely reorient if only for the fun of it. For now, the fact that I can have my set-up do double duty for music and HT definitely wins from possible further improvement for music only. Full dedicated 5.1 with wired surrounds is not really an option and I doubt that even Atmos on Sonos ARC will bring a better sound stage for HT. The phantom center on AMP really works well.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks for your sharing.

Both my Lindemann DAC and my Creek Destiny amp are highly rated and are generally considered higher-end (the original price of Creek Destiny is 2000$, I suppose). Naturally they are expected to perform better than the Sonos Amp. The question is how much better.

With the Sonos Amp I would also be able to scrap my old 5.1 Elac home theater (I also have two Play:1 ready to be rear speakers). I am not too excited with new standards such as Atmos and DTS:X, a Sonos 4.0 or 4.1 will be fine for me. Maybe when you are older, simplicity matters more than technology.

Therefore I am hoping that the Amp can make my CM7 shine, and the difference between it and my Creek amp is small enough to justify the purchase.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Very curious to hear about what you will think of the difference if you do go ahead!