Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Alternatives

• 26 July 2024
  • 9 replies

Hi - Long time owner of Sonos systems (I have two houses) but so frustrated with neither system working any longer I’m looking for any alternatives that work.  Any suggestions / recommendations?  Cost isn’t much of an issue as long as it’s similar or less to Sonos.  I don’t like just taking all this equipment to the dump but that’s what I’ll do (versus trying to sell bad systems to others or even giving them away) once I source and install new systems.  Thanks for the help!

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Are you in the US? I will take your non-working systems off your hands.

I’m a long time user and lover of Sonos. Have a Beam, Arc, 3, and 5. I now use the soundbars with tv only. Sad to say I’ve given up on using the 3 & 5 due to the software issues. I am replacing them with good bluetooth speakers so that I can easily control my music. I will hang on to everything in hopes that the software is corrected. Was going to purchase another 5, but will now wait. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Long time users with a single post!  I’m not convinced.

I don’t spend my time posting. Just reached my breaking point. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I reached my breaking point in day 2 of the new app.  Thankfully it has got better but still not great.  I’m sticking it out, the alternatives are still poor for my needs.  Once the system is back with full functionality (October!!!) I will think twice before making eager updates!

Can’t see myself buying more Sonos kit though😥

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@mcs1 

i can just tell you what I have done 

I replaced my roams and move’s with echo dots and battery packs on prime day so was cheap plugged a WiiM mini into my Sonos 5 pair and sub for music and it does multi room with the echo dots

i use the WiiM software and Sono+ widget app for volume and grouping 

I am on the pre may software and firmware but it may work with the newer version unsure 😜

hope it gives you a few ideas 👍

Badge +1

I’m a long time user and lover of Sonos. Have a Beam, Arc, 3, and 5. I now use the soundbars with tv only. Sad to say I’ve given up on using the 3 & 5 due to the software issues. I am replacing them with good bluetooth speakers so that I can easily control my music. I will hang on to everything in hopes that the software is corrected. Was going to purchase another 5, but will now wait. 

Sounds similar to my systems.  The 1’s, 3’s, 5’s, Era’s, Move and subs have only worked correctly together once or twice over the past few months.  I disconnected the soundbars from the systems entirely and they work ok with the tv’s but that’s it.  I bought a number of JBL Bluetooth speakers which work surprisingly well - not quite as polished of look of the Sonos speakers but they work(!) and I hope they expand further into this market.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

In my case I've been searching and combing the internet for people who has been able to put one of those RaspberryPiZero-ish boards into the old Sonos1/ONE.

You'd get the intelligence and open-source of the Pi community, but with the good speakers of your current machines.
It's not like speakers grow old. It's just a scheme to trick ppl into continue buying more speakers.

I had two separate systems made up of:

Play 1s, Play 3s, Play 5s, 2 amps, 3 soundbars, a connect and 3 subs so I would say heavily invested.

I have the luxury of replacing it all so I went full BluSound.

Works great. Integrates with Roon. App works. 

Should have done it sooner.

Thanks Sonos for the crap you’ve created. Got me on better audio.

As for my old equipment I factory reset it and gave it to a charity thrift store to sell.