Sonoes Beam with Samsung Frame Tv and PS5

• 12 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi, 

I am looking to purchase the sonos beam with the Samsung Frame 2020. I also have a ps5. I have read so many issues that people are having with sonos beam, so I am hesitant to but one even though from many reviews I have seen its rated pretty good. 

My question is does the sonos beam have an issue with voice latency on the tv as well as the ps5 and if it does has anyone been able to resolve it? If not am I being to cautious? 

Thanks so much! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jess_lubbe 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

While there are a few people reporting problems with sync, it seems to be on older TV’s  and Apple TV boxes, rather than with the PS5. Most reports are quite old, and have likely been fixed.

Most reported Sonos/Samsung issues have been related to the Sonos Arc, not the Beam, and these were recently fixed with the last Sonos update.

I can tell you that if there are sync issues, it’s the TV’s job to synchronise the video and audio and the only real fix for this would be a firmware update on the television, and that Samsung have been updating their recent model firmware versions recently. Any lip sync issues that arise on the Beam would also arise on any other sound-bars using HDMI-ARC, as the Beam has no reason to “hang on” to audio before playing it.

The Beam does come with an optical adaptor so that you can connect it to your TV without using an HDMI port, but although the sound is exactly the same, you would lose some functionality (like volume control from any TV connected device’s remote and Alexa turning the TV on/off - though the TV may support Alexa on it’s own). Depending on how/where the TV is inducing the delay, that may be a workaround.

My advice would be to buy it and see - you can always return it for a refund if you’re not happy. Even if you don’t get surround speakers now, be sure to test in Dolby Digital mode so that if you do upgrade in the future, you can do so in the knowledge that you wont have problems then either.