Answered

Small bedroom TV and vinyl setup

• 1 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi all. 

My setup is pretty simple currently and I am wanting to get a bit more omph from it. 

currently I have an analogue amp and 2 bookshelf speakers which i love and want to ideally keep them part of the system. 

my setup is for my TV and a vinyl player. 

I already have a Sonos one which I airplay to and use for Alexa. 

What I am wanting is to get a second Sonos One and combine that with the other one that I already have and make them rear speakers and my bookshelves be the fronts. 

my question here is, what would I need to have 2 Sonos Ones and my bookshelf speakers all be part of the system whether I am listening to music or watching TV? 

Me second question is, will i lose out on anything if I add an Arc or Beam in the future? Will I be restricted to 2 channel if I have analogue inputs, etc? 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 March 2021, 04:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

You could get a Sonos Amp to connect your two bookshelf speakers and then connect the two Ones wirelessly as surrounds to the Amp. The Amp would connect to your TV via HDMI ARC, and the turntable would connect to the Amp’s line-in.

If you add a Beam or Arc, you would no longer need the Amp or bookshelf speakers for your TV, but you could still use them for your turntable.

Okay awesome, that sounds like a good idea to me. 

That leaves the question then, should I use the money that would get me the amp to get an ARC, and use the ARC + Ones for the TV and keep the bookshelves purely for the turntable and keep that all analogue. hmmmmm

Userlevel 7

Since you seem to be happy with your current turntable and bookshelf speaker setup, I would just get the Arc and Ones (or Sub) for your TV. The Arc would sound much better than your bookshelf speakers for TV audio. Although with this setup, you wouldn’t be able to play your vinyl music out of any Sonos speakers.

Awesome, that’s good advice. Thank you, now I just need to do some thinking and decide how I’d like the setup 

Another issue I have just considered is that my current analogue amp is also my phono stage, so replacing that with the Sonos amp may cause me some issues 

A phono preamp is a fairly inexpensive replacement, and significantly smaller than a normal amplifier.

Yeah, I’ve just been reading into different products and it sounds like you guys have got the right info I need. There's some pretty well regarded phono preamps that are very well priced so I think I know my plan now. 

Thanks all!