Answered

Single sonos amp and individual play of ceiling architectural speakers

• 19 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi there

I can’t seem to find a clear answer to this question.

I have two rooms that I’d like to power with a single sonos amp.  Each room has two ceiling speakers that I'd like to replace with architectural ceiling speakers.  I realize only one audio output can be sent to all speakers, but can I ‘shut off’ individual architectural speakers, to only play the sound in one of the rooms?  I was hoping to set this up with airplay 2 and Apple Homekit to control the speakers of each room.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 19 November 2021, 17:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Each Amp acts as one zone, meaning all speakers wired to a single Amp will play the same content at the same volume. If you want each room to act as an individual zone, you should get two Amps - one for each room.

Thanks @GuitarSuperstar 

Just to clarify, can individual architectural speakers be ‘turned off’, while the rest connected to the amp continue to play?

Thanks

Thanks @GuitarSuperstar 

Just to clarify, can individual architectural speakers be ‘turned off’, while the rest connected to the amp continue to play?

Thanks

Not using the Sonos app.  You would need to wire in hardware volume controls.