Setup recommendation

• 27 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and haven't found any similar post so excuse me if there is already some thread that might be of help.

I'll try to be concise. I've had a couple Sonos Play:1 (old gen, no airplay) for some years and I really like the controller and the fact that it integrates multiple streaming services I use (Spotify, Tidal, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Mixcloud, Pocket Casts...). I also have a flash drive attached to the router with .mp3 and .flac files which is also available within the app, so it can all be controlled from a single app.

After moving a lot I have finally settled and decided to get a decent HiFi. I've made some research and talked to friends and staff at good HiFi shops in my town and finally decided to get a Bluesound Node 2i, a Cambridge Audio CXA60 and a pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.2. Also a Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB, but it doesn't affect the question here. The Bluesound is connected to the CXA60 via coax, so I'm actually using the amp's built-in DAC. 

Overall I'm very happy with the setup but I must say I don't like BlueOS controller. I can only use it for Tidal, any other service has to connect via AirPlay. It doesn't show up on lockscreen so I have to unlock my phone to play/pause etc.. I don't really care about voice integration (Alexa and such) nor about home cinema setups. I am using the Bluesound as a digital streamer. I've used Roon's trial and I think it is great but a bit costly taking into account I am getting started, so I think maybe in the future could be for me, not just now.

I've seen Sonos has the Port, which I would use the exact same way, but I would be able to control it from a single app which I really like. Considering the way I use my setup, do you think there is a great difference in sound quality between the Bluesound and the Port? Or a slight difference at least? Does the Bluesound have any features regarding Hi-Res audio that you think make it worth keeping it, even though I am not using them just now?

As of now my priorities are sound quality and user experience. I do not intend to make this a fight between brands, I'd just like some advice for my specific setup.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I’m not an audiophile, nor an expert on bluesound products, but I a firmly in the camp that there is little value in Hi Res audio that the human ear can’t distinguish between typical ‘CD quality’ audio.  With that in mind, I think the question then comes done to which product is easier to use and better to build a home audio system around.   You already seem to prefer the Sonos interface, and you have play:1s so you would be able to group your new system with your old play:1s.

I also would take into account that Bluesound is a not as well established as Sonos is.  I don’t know what Bluesound’s outlook looks like, but 5 years from Sonos will definitely be around.  As well, Sonos successfully sued Bluesound for copyright infringement, and is receiving license fees from Bluesound as a result.

Badge

Thank you Danny, I had definitely not thought about the lifespan of each component and it is also an important point. As you said, it comes down to which product is easier to use and better to build my specific setup.

However, since I already own the Bluesound, I would like to make sure there isn’t something I am not taking into account to make the decision whether to keep it or switch to the Port. As a matter of fact, it is the component everyone recommended, so maybe I didn’t explain myself well when asking for advice the first time or it is just I had to experience it for myself to find out it is not the product I need. Maybe I am missing something else. If anyone else can share their thoughts it will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Get rid of the blue sound, and add a Sonos Sub that is then bonded to the play 1 pair. Place it somewhere between the two Play 1 speakers, if you cannot place it in the centre between them. Trueplay tune the set up in its final location.

That will match any HiFi set up at the same price point and even some at higher points.

However, since I already own the Bluesound, I would like to make sure there isn’t something I am not taking into account to make the decision whether to keep it or switch to the Port. As a matter of fact, it is the component everyone recommended, so maybe I didn’t explain myself well when asking for advice the first time or it is just I had to experience it for myself to find out it is not the product I need. Maybe I am missing something else. If anyone else can share their thoughts it will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Not sure which component you’re saying people are recommending.  Regardless, I don’t know that I would trust the advice of HiFi shops as they are motivated by profit first and foremost, and will always lean towards Hi Res equipment even if it doesn’t result in better sound in your home. 

I think with both bluesound and Sonos there is a pretty good secondary market when you want to change things up.

Badge

Get rid of the blue sound, and add a Sonos Sub that is then bonded to the play 1 pair. Place it somewhere between the two Play 1 speakers, if you cannot place it in the centre between them. Trueplay tune the set up in its final location.

That will match any HiFi set up at the same price point and even some at higher points.

Thank you Kumar, but what you suggest is completely the opposite of what I am asking. I am not changing my whole setup, I am just asking advice about the streamer connected the specific way I want to my setup. I would appreciate advice to this specific question. Thanks again!

Badge

Not sure which component you’re saying people are recommending.  Regardless, I don’t know that I would trust the advice of HiFi shops as they are motivated by profit first and foremost, and will always lean towards Hi Res equipment even if it doesn’t result in better sound in your home. 

I think with both bluesound and Sonos there is a pretty good secondary market when you want to change things up.

I mean the people and staff I asked recommended the Bluesound. That’s why I think that maybe besides user experience there is something I am missing and even though I like Sonos interface better I might as well keep the Bluesound.

If you are bypassing the DAC in the Port and/or Bluesound, the resulting audio is overwhelmingly determined by the amplifier (including DAC) and speakers.  

Sonos have a long no-quibble return period, and so I suggest you just get a Port and do your own comparisons.  I doubt that in a blind trial you would be able to hear a difference.

I am also a HiRes sceptic, but it is possible to play some locally stored HiRes files, and some Qobus.  This is likely to expand over time.

Sonos has always been able to play CD-quality lossless files.

Badge

If you are bypassing the DAC in the Port and/or Bluesound, the resulting audio is overwhelmingly determined by the amplifier (including DAC) and speakers.  

Sonos have a long no-quibble return period, and so I suggest you just get a Port and do your own comparisons.  I doubt that in a blind trial you would be able to hear a difference.

I am also a HiRes sceptic, but it is possible to play some locally stored HiRes files, and some Qobus.  This is likely to expand over time.

Sonos has always been able to play CD-quality lossless files.

Thank you John, I guess I’ll end up trying both systems and keeping the one that suits me best. I thought I’d better ask first in case I was missing something