Answered

Setting up surround sound with ceiling speakers

• 12 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 49 replies

Looking to set up a 5.1 surround sound using a pair of  Sonosceiling speakers as the rears and an arc for the centre with a sub, do I need an amp?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 12 May 2021, 16:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Yes, the two rear-channel (ceiling) surround speakers can be linked to a Sonos Amp, which ‘bonds’ wirelessly with the Sonos Arc, that plays all the front channels. The link between the two Sonos products for TV audio is a faster 5Ghz adhoc wireless connection.

Up to two wireless Sonos Subs (one must be a gen3 version) can also be added to the room, if you require additional bass to the Home Theatre setup.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

So the Speakers connect to the amp by wire

The Amp connects to the Arc by wireless

And the Amp connects to the TV by HDMI

And the Sub is wireless as well

Have I got that correct?

Userlevel 7

The Arc is the only device that connects to the TV. The Amp and Sub connect to the Arc wirelessly. The in-ceiling speakers are wired to the Amp.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Right so…..

Speakers connect to Amp (no other power required for the speakers)

Amp connects wirelessly to the sub and the arc

TV to Arc via HMDI

Got it!

Just as a mild note of caution, as you said ‘an arc for the centre’. The Arc isn’t a center speaker, it has center as well as front left and front right channels built in. It cannot be used as a ‘mono center speaker’. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Get it, I have the play as part of a 5.1 in another room, does the arc have the ability to enhance the spoken word like the play?

Get it, I have the play as part of a 5.1 in another room, does the arc have the ability to enhance the spoken word like the play?

‘play’ as in ‘playbar’?  If that’s what you meant, than yes.   (Sonos previously line of speakers was play:1, play:3,play:5, playbar, playbase)

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Yes sorry playbar!

so the arc can enhance the spoken word like the playbar ?

Userlevel 7

Yes sorry playbar!

so the arc can enhance the spoken word like the playbar ?

Yes, the Arc has a Speech Enhancement feature that can make dialogue clearer and a Night Sound feature that reduces the intensity of loud sounds while increasing the level of quieter sounds, making dialogue clearer without having to turn up the volume.