Answered

Seeking advice: correct product for use with Projector

• 28 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello

I have a Sonos Amp. I have connected it to my Firestick 4K on my Benq HD Projector via Line Out, and on the Sonos app I have set the audio delay to 75ms. It is working brilliantly, the lip-sync is spot on.

However, the two speakers in the room are wall-mounted and are not in the desired location for the projector screen (they are from an old hi-fi). They are good speakers. Moving the speakers to the right location would be very disruptive, I’d have to cut holes in ceiling and walls.

So….I am looking to buy a couple of Era 300 or a pair of Five speakers, and using these with my projector instead, pairing them, and using the line-in. This would allow me to place the speakers on stands either side of the projector screen (so in front of and facing the people watching the films). HOWEVER everything I read says this setup isn’t really suited to TV.

I’m not using a TV, I’m using a projector, and the room setup means a soundbar isn’t possible (the projector screen drops down in front of a doorway).

Can anypne share any experiences or thoughts on this? 75ms is the minimum sound delay on the app; am I likely to get a higher delay using either of the Era 300 or the Five when paired using Line In?

Many thanks for your advice.

Jim

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 December 2023, 22:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You can use any SONOS unit with a Line-In to connect to your projector’s RCA jack audio output. then select this input for the AMP driving your speakers. Your current arrangement is incurring the 75ms latency. If this is not a problem now, it will not be a problem with the new arrangement.

Note that this scheme is stereo only, it cannot be used for surround. For surround, you’ll need an HDMI-ARC, HDMI-eARC, or optical connection between projector and soundbar..The optical connection will not support the most premium surround formats.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Many thanks buzz, much appreciated. I guess my concern stemmed from a single line-in to one speaker, then whatever trickery splits out the L and R to send to the other speaker.

It’s not currently an ‘ideal’ setup, as you’re using the Amp’s line-in for Firestick 4K and only getting (~75ms) delayed stereo audio from that setup - I am surprised you are not noticing the delay, but then again it is only 2 channel audio …and perhaps distance is playing a role in you ‘not noticing’ any lip-sync issue.

If you were to group Sonos speakers with the Amp all will play in sync with the same audio delay you’re hearing now. So you could try that, I guess and see how it sounds to you. It’s the cheapest way forward but still only stereo sound.

Other devices, like Sonos Soundbars, would be better of course and provide true surround sound audio with other Sonos speakers, or the Amp, but it all depends on connections that the Projector has or whether you want to goto further expense and use audio extractors etc; like the HDFury Arcana (see attached screenshot) and install cables, between projector and screen.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks Ken. Yes, the projector and firestick are not ideal, they don’t support anything beyond basic stereo and it’s too expensive to get a new projector as well as invest in the Sonos kit. Our room setup is far from ideal so I’m just trying to get the best I can without going crazy.

... I guess my concern stemmed from a single line-in to one speaker, then whatever trickery splits out the L and R to send to the other speaker.

A Line-In is a stereo resource on the network. Any combination of Rooms can select this resource, just as you would select a music service.