Answered

Second hand Sonos Connect Gen 2 - bargain or headache?

• 10 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello all,

My current music systems consist of:

Deezer Family Subscription

2x pre-digital hi-fi separates systems, both with tape loops, one with a turntable, the other with a minidisc player

Sonos Roam

I’ve been trying to tease out how best to link these all together. 2x Ports would peg me with roughly £800 costs, so I’ve started looking at 2x Connect Gen 2 instead, for £300ish. I understand that they’ve been discontinued and I’m avoiding Gen 1s and have read about the S1/S2 split.

The Roam, bought new, is the only experience I have of Sonos. If I buy used Connect Gen2s, will there be any non-obvious gotchyas around adding them to my sonos account or their usage, or do I simply reset them and they will behave as you’d expect with new gear?

icon

Best answer by ratty 10 September 2023, 16:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

If I buy used Connect Gen2s, will there be any non-obvious gotchyas around adding them to my sonos account or their usage, or do I simply reset them and they will behave as you’d expect with new gear?

They’ll work with your S2 Roam. Install them in the amps’ tape loops and you’ll be able to play from them, and to them from the old separates. Reset them first, just in case the vendor doesn’t.

New gear? Well they’re older models so there could eventually come a time when they’re unable to support some new feature or other. The future hasn’t been written yet. Also, their components will obviously be of a certain age so how well they’ve been treated could determine their usable lifespan. Operation in higher ambient temperatures or lots of powering on/off at the wall could have aged them somewhat faster than normal.

Badge

If I buy used Connect Gen2s, will there be any non-obvious gotchyas around adding them to my sonos account or their usage, or do I simply reset them and they will behave as you’d expect with new gear?

They’ll work with your S2 Roam. Install them in the amps’ tape loops and you’ll be able to play from them, and to them from the old separates. Reset them first, just in case the vendor doesn’t.

New gear? Well they’re older models so there could eventually come a time when they’re unable to support some new feature or other. The future hasn’t been written yet. Also, their components will obviously be of a certain age so how well they’ve been treated could determine their usable lifespan. Operation in higher ambient temperatures or lots of powering on/off at the wall could have aged them somewhat faster than normal.

Thank you Ratty, that was the sort of comprehensive answer I was hoping for. Just plugged in the first of my new-to-me Connects and it sounds great. Time to blast some tunes out. 👍