Question

Recommendations for Living Room and Kitchen Setup

• 26 February 2019
  • 3 replies

I am in the process of remodeling my house and have the ceilings open. My objective is to add two speakers in my kitchen ceiling and two speakers in my living room ceiling. For the kitchen, there will be a TV mounted over the fireplace. I'd like the ceiling speakers to have the ability to play sound from the TV or from Sonos (Connect:Amp?). For the living room, I already have a Beam and want the two ceiling speakers to be able to play sound from the TV or from Sonos and to also integrate with my Beam to either play TV audio or music from Sonos. I'd like each zone to be independent from one another so the sound in the kitchen doesn't necessarily need to match the sound in the living room. Can you make a recommendation for equipment based on my requirements? Note: I have not purchased the ceiling speakers or Connect:Amp yet, just the Beam in the living room.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ejwalters

Here are my recommendations. If I have missed something please advise.

Ceiling Speakers
1. Kitchen with Sonos Amp or Connect:Amp
2. Living Room with Sonos Amp or Connect:Amp

To get sound from the Kitchen TV you'd need a Beam or Playbar connected to it in order to group with the Ceiling speakers.

Essentially you'll have 4 Zones:
1. Kitchen Zone with Ceiling speakers
2. Kitchen Zone TV with Beam or Playbar
3. Living Room Zone with Ceiling speakers
4. Living Room Zone TV with Beam

Click the link for Sonos recommended Ceiling and Wall Speakers to be paired with a Sonos Amp or Connect:Amp
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop

I might also add that the Ceiling speakers in either the Kitchen or Livinig Room can be positioned to act as wireless surrounds when connected to a Sonos Amp Bonded with a Beam or Playbar. Even when used as surrounds they can be set via the Sonos app to auto-switch to FULL speaker sound for music play. You’d also have the ability to adjust the level independently of the Beam or Playbar. You also have the option to add a Sonos Sub for DD5.1 sound if you desire.

Using the Sonos recommended ceiling and wall speakers also allows for TruePlay tuning of those zones (provided they are run by a Sonos Amp). Note: Bonding the speakers to the Beam or Playbar will remove them as an independent Zone.

Cheers!
@ajtrek1 thanks for the recommendations! To clarify, there is no way to hook the Kitchen TV to the ceiling speakers without a Beam or Playbar?
Userlevel 7
Well... you could use a Sonos Amp with the ceiling speakers connected via HDMI_ARC or with the optional Optical to HDMI adapter to your TV. You’d have figure out how to run the cables overhead. However the audio may not sync well with ceiling speakers. (Lip-sync)

I don’t know how your fireplace is constructed, but you might consider the in-wall speakers for the TV using the Sonos Amp. The downside would be heat.

Cheers!