Rechargeable surround sound

• 6 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Hi, my wife and I are building a new home and we have to make a decision on prewiring for surround sound.  In our old home I prewired and had a wired Bose surround setup with a receiver. 

Our new home is open concept.  Considering that, my initial thought is to set up the surround sound using Bluetooth or WiFi.  I don’t want to have to plug in rear channel speakers and I would rather not pay for in wall wiring. I am hoping that there is a rechargeable option   I have no issue with the front channels and sub being wired but again would prefer they not be.  I am hoping that someone who knows more than me can give me some ideas/suggestions  

Thanks in advance for any help. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@paulauryn

Wireless data transfer via wifi is no problem, but there are no portable speakers with batteries in Sonos product line up that could be used in a home theater surround setup. At least you will need a power outlet nearby the speaker. 

What about spezial outlets on the floor if you just are in status of planning? You could use floorstands for the speakers with such an outlet. 

Hi and thank you. We have our electric rough in walk through later this month. That includes the low voltage installers as well. They will be the ones to run speaker wire etc.  We do plan on adding a couple floor power outlets.  I’m trying to avoid speaker stands.  We can have them run in ceiling speakers (they offer “Proficient Audio” in ceiling or in wall speakers.  As I understand these would have to run to a receiver. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@paulauryn 

Yes, for in wall or in ceiling speakers you need a Sonos Amp to be wired with. 
But I thought because of the costs you want to avoid such a solution…!? 

Where would you place battery powered speakers? Imho speakers pluged to a floor outlet could be placed the same way. Floorstands were just a suggestion I would prefer. 

I do appreciate the thoughts. My goal was to stay as wire free as possible and avoid a bulky receiver.  I will take a look at the Sonos Amp. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I do appreciate the thoughts. My goal was to stay as wire free as possible and avoid a bulky receiver.  I will take a look at the Sonos Amp. 

In this case I recommend choosing in wall or in ceiling speakers from Sonance architectural line up. There were made for Sonos to be Trueplay enabled with the Sonos amp. 
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/architectural

Thanks for this.  I am assuming I could also integrate a Sonos soundbar and sub?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks for this.  I am assuming I could also integrate a Sonos soundbar and sub?

Yes, of course you can… 👍🏻

A Sonos Arc Soundbar acting as the front speakers (left, right, center) and for Dolby Atmos also as front high channel speakers and an additional Sonos Sub imho would perfectly fit this. The Amp with in walls / ceilings would act as the surround speakers. 
Not the cheapest setup… but very nice. 😎

I don’t think battery operated speakers are a good idea unless you can install a permanent charger. Over time battery rundown and re-attaching a charger will become an unwelcome chore.

In spite of the “isn’t everything wireless now?” mindset, wired is faster and more reliable. Since this is new construction, now is the cheapest time to wire. At some point in the future you’ll wish that you have some optical fiber running to major bandwidth hogs, such as TVs and offices. In the short term the fiber might be ‘dark’, but it will become more valuable over time. It could result in an easier future house sale to tech savvy home shoppers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@buzz 

Belonging to a Sonos home theater setup battery powered speakers aren’t an option at all, because as you know they aren’t compatible with such a setup. So no need to convince @paulauryn of that. 😉

And I totally agree to your thoughts of wired connection but to be honest… if I prefer installing a setup this way I would choose another system than Sonos. That said though I‘m a convinced Sonos fan. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d seriously look into the Sonos Era 300 speakers for a new install, they are going to pair with the Arc for a very good Atmos experience.

I’ve seen the Era 100s mentioned as working with Atmos but not as well as the 300s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I’d seriously look into the Sonos Era 300 speakers for a new install, they are going to pair with the Arc for a very good Atmos experience.

I’ve seen the Era 100s mentioned as working with Atmos but not as well as the 300s.

Of course good suggestions, but unfortunately no option for @paulauryn. ☹️