Quiet listening - downgrade for Sonos One SL + Sonos Sub

• 11 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi there, 

this is my first post here, as until now i was very happy with my Sonos 5 / Fives. Now the Situation is changing, therefore i need some advice. I will be moving to a new place soon, which is oddly shaped and smaller than the current one. 

Current Setup: 2 Sonos Five 
Current State: Happy with the output, but the Fives do need to be at least at 40% to deliver performance. I currently do have the space and freedom to accommodate the fives and crank up the volume.

Upcoming:  I will move to a smaller place and the Kids will be residing right behind the wall where the TV and the speakers are located. 

Question: Interested in downgrading my fives to one sl + sub (no need for smart). 
Reason: Less space, can not listen that loud anymore.

Space: Approx. 370 sq.ft.

The listening will happen at the couch and at the table. Now i might add another pair of one SL in the kitchen area down the road. But the question is if the the ones with the sub are better suited in such a scenario. How do the Ones handle mid and high tones? As the five has more drivers and is very clear in sound when turned up. On my fives i do turn up the highs occasionally to +2 when listening at lower volume

Thanks for any advice and sorry for spellings and typos, non-native here. 

Edit: In case i keep the Fives, the will sit either the same as above the ones or one will be in the bottom left and the other in the bottom right corner. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

I would keep using the pair of Fives. A pair of One SLs and a Sub is not really much of a downgrade. The Sub will probably disturb the kids in the other room more so than a pair of Fives.

Since you will be in a smaller space, you won’t need to turn the volume up as loud to enjoy music on the Fives.

If you don’t mind breaking up the stereo pair, you might consider placing one Five in the kitchen and keeping the other Five next to the TV.

Thanks for your reply. 

I do love the stereo pair but they do sound quiet remarkable on their own as well. This might really be an option to break them up. 

My main concern was, when listening quietly the base would just be a filler, so it should not disturb the kids. The five needs some power to shine, so i thought the ones can bring the clarity at lower volume levels while the sub providing the richness in the depths. On the other hand, I am not sure the one can give the soundstage and clearness with one driver, as the 5 has 3 drivers for the higher tones.