Question re: new Home Theatre setup

• 17 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hi all, new Sonos setup starting in my LR with Arc, Sub and 2 Ones for surround.  The location of the TV and the Arc (and maybe the Sub) are capable of using a wired Ethernet connection.  I have a 3-node Linksys Velop Tri-Band mesh system shown by the crude blue symbols.  Wondering if I should start by trying the Wifi and see how it goes.  I have good Internet (stream video to multiple sets with no issues) and never have issues with Wifi connections.  Fallback would be to wire the Arc and use SonosNet.  Thoughts?

I forgot to add that the Internet (cable) comes into Bedroom 3, that’s the location of the router main node as well.  To get to the TV/Arc connection, I’d need to connect Bedroom 3 to the wiring panel/switch in the garage (house has Cat 5 wiring) and then back to the TV alcove.  The reason for the location of the node in the MBR is to get wifi to my telescope computer when in the backyard.

OB

9 replies

With any WiFi mesh setup, it’s usually best to wire a single Sonos product to the primary mesh hub, particularly if there are any issues with the Sonos products perhaps not working too well with the mesh Wifi hubs. As your using a Velop mesh WiFi, you may find this thread link useful:

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

It looks like the square footage is such that you have plenty of wifi coverage. To me it’s beneficial to hardwire something to a router (I use a Boost as my Internet is in the corner of the house). If you add that (it’s like $100) then you won’t have to worry about connecting BR3. Everything else I have (like another 15+ speakers) are through Sonosnet. Just my thoughts and experience.

Badge +1

It looks like the square footage is such that you have plenty of wifi coverage. To me it’s beneficial to hardwire something to a router (I use a Boost as my Internet is in the corner of the house). If you add that (it’s like $100) then you won’t have to worry about connecting BR3. Everything else I have (like another 15+ speakers) are through Sonosnet. Just my thoughts and experience.

Cable modem and router are in BR3. Is that where I would put the boost?  Or in the LR via wiring from BR3–>garage—>TV/Arc alcove?

Thanks!  OB

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

To the router in the BR3. Should have 2/3 slots for that as well as any other “connected home” boxes. 

Badge +1

Sounds like a plan!  So my router only has 1 Ethernet port so I have it going to an 8-port switch with 3 PCs on it. I can connect the boost to that switch correct?

Thanks,

OB

Badge +1

Sounds like a plan!  So my router only has 1 Ethernet port so I have it going to an 8-port switch with 3 PCs on it. I can connect the boost to that switch correct?

Thanks,

OB

One more question. Boost is first Sonos product since getting here first. I’ll connect that to my router. Now when I set up my Arc, Sub 3 and 2x Ones, will they automatically pick up the Boost?  No WiFi connection needed?  What about my iPhone?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Thanks,

OB

Correct. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Thanks,

OB

One more question. Boost is first Sonos product since getting here first. I’ll connect that to my router. Now when I set up my Arc, Sub 3 and 2x Ones, will they automatically pick up the Boost?  No WiFi connection needed?  What about my iPhone?

Yes, it will find your Sonosnet Channel and use that. You may have to play with the channels depending on the interference from other houses and once in a while update. I have been using channel 11 and it seems to have been working well for quite some time. Your phone should automatically find it through your network one way or the other but you will need to be on your wifi regardless.

Cable modem and router are in BR3. Is that where I would put the boost?  Or in the LR via wiring from BR3–>garage—>TV/Arc alcove?

Thanks!  OB

I disagree slightly with Jeffrey’s advice.   If the TV/Arc alcove has a wired connection to the main router (via the switch in the garage, maybe another switch in alcove) then you can just wire the Arc without needing a separate Boost. 

Really, I don’t know that I would even worry about that.  Although you have 4 Sonos devices, it’s only one Sonos room.  The Arc is going to create a separate 5.0 Ghz connection to the Sub and rear surrounds regardless of whether it’s connected to the router via a wire or wireless conneciton.  Sonosnet  isn’t going to come into play here. That decision is really only going to matter when you add a second room, say a pair of speakers in the master bedroom.