Privacy Update

Threatening to slowly brick my expensive speakers if I don't accept your heavy handed new 'terms' is a complete load of crap. I paid for this and it should continue to work even if I don't opt-in to whatever crazy policy you decide to do in the future.

I used to recommend sonos to everyone and that will now certainly stop. What would I tell them? Hey here's a great system but it wants to spy on you and if you're not cool with that it'll stop working entirely...

I won't buy any more of your products (who knew they were only rented to begin with), you've made a big mistake and it'll show in the market.

Moderator Note: Removed Profanity

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Sonos isn't threatening anything. They are simply stating the fact that, as with any software, if you do not upgrade, eventually, functionality will no longer be supported and new and existing features from third party sources may no longer work with your version of the software. For example, if Spotify updates their API, your version of Sonos may not work with the new API. That's no different then any other software that integrates with other software.

Your phone almost assuredly is the same way. If you don't upgrade the OS on your phone, eventually, you're going to brick your phone.
ahh but you see they have linked their increasing demands for collection of my private data to these updates and that is the issue.
You did read the policy and see that you can opt out of private data collection (at least some of it), right? Are you aware of the difference between the previous and current policy?
"at least some of it"
Hi sonos user, could you tell which feature or wording alerted you? I am about to invest into the sonos ecosystem and would be very concerned about that..
As I said in another thread. I've gotten confused about what data is required for functionality and what data is for optional functionality...can be opted out of it. I've seen that some of the basics like email address location (which are not knew) are required. Since I've read the policy and don't have any issue with it, I don't see a reason for me to personally research it much.

What exactly are the heavy handed terms that are bothering you?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

What exactly are the heavy handed terms that are bothering you?
Good luck. I've been asking this all over, and I've yet to get an answer.

I love the phone analogy by the way, perhaps the most accurate comparison possible.
Just to speculate, if they're going to be integrating with Amazon (and hopefully others eventually), they'll need to know and share the room names, so that they can allow voice control. If they don't have that data, then voice control won't work. Or maybe they're planning to do it by speaker numbers? That would be awkward...
This link might help here http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/legal/privacy (...unless it refers to the old policy?)

It specifically lists Functional Data which collection can't be turned off.. Actually after reading it it does not sound too scary for me. It would probably help if Sonos put the same words or a link to them in their privacy update, it least there would be less confusion in the beginning...

The link also sheds some light on audio data collection like what and when is being collected
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
That is the current privacy policy being discussed. You can see the update time at the top.

Sonos has actually explained the information in the change in their blog and linked to it from all over. It's on the bottom of every page, and there's a special banner on the homepage.