Question

Possible to get to 5.1 with Playbar, Connect, wall speakers, and non-Sonos sub?

• 7 February 2017
  • 2 replies

Hello. I currently have a Playbar connected to my Panasonic 55" plasma TV. I'm looking to accomplish a couple of things here: 1) Create a 5.1 home theater setup using my existing Playbar. The ideal solution would include in-wall speakers and a non-Sonos sub. Is this possible with the Playbar, in-wall speakers, a Connect, a Yamaha RX-V679BL 7.2 receiver, and a sub? 2) I want to add speakers to my deck/patio as a separate zone. I want to do so utilizing the same receiver mentioned above as well as (I'm assuming) another Connect.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The configuration you are suggesting will not work. There is a built-in delay for the line-in on the Connect that will make it (at least) 70ms behind the Playbar. This will mess up the timing on surround effects, rendering them useless.

You can use in-wall speakers as surrounds utilizing a Connect:Amp. The Connect:Amp and Playbar must both be wired via Ethernet, either to the router or to each other. See this link for details:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248/kw/connect:Amp%20as%20surrounds

There is no way to use an aftermarket sub, you must use the Sonos Sub. This is because the only Sonos device with a subwoofer out is the Connect:Amp, and it can only receive a 2-channel stereo signal. So when configured as surrounds, there is no way to get the '.1' subwoofer channel to the Connect:Amp, because it is already receiving 2 channels for the surrounds.
Thank you. I appreciate the prompt response! It seems like the Connect:Amp may be the way I need to solve both of my use cases (home theater and deck speakers). For what I'm trying to do, it sounds like I'll need two of them. Thank you again!