Port vs. Amp

• 5 January 2022
  • 19 replies

I understand the Port is best suited to have an amplified input (such as a stereo receiver) connected to it and the Amp is best suited for a non-amplified input (such as a turntable or speakers) connected to it.
My question is, can a stereo receiver still be connected to the Amp? If so, are there any negative impacts?
Thank you.

19 replies

If the speaker terminals of the receiver are wired to the inputs on the amp, the latter will be damaged via overload; but if the receiver has line out sockets, perhaps labelled Tape Out, these may be wired to those inputs on the amp. 

This would apply to Port as well, which is meant to be a input provider to the receiver.

What are you trying to achieve with these combinations?

Hi Kumar,
Thanks for your reply. I am wanting to know if I should purchase a Port or an Amp. I have an existing stereo system (turntable, tape deck, and receiver) and existing Sonos speaker system. I am wanting to have the output of the stereo system play to the Sonos speakers. I like the features of the Amp but I am concerned that the output from the stereo receiver (that originally went to the original stereo speakers) would not be suitable for the Amp. If so, then perhaps the Port is the more appropriate option?

The Port is what you need to buy.

The thing to do is to wire the Port analog outputs to the line in of the receiver that is marked CD or Tuner, and use the line in on the Port to receive input from the turntable. That way whatever is played on the turntable will be heard via the speakers attached to the receiver, as well as on other Sonos speakers.

There could be a complication here if the turntable does not have a phono preamp because it uses the one built into the receiver as part of the phono jack on the receiver…

Does the receiver have a tape out socket pair?

See if you can attach a photo of the rear panel of the receiver that has all the various sockets.

And I’m afraid you have a misunderstanding of the input nature of the two devices. Both, and frankly all Sonos devices that have an analog input require line level inputs, basically the same as you would get from a tape player, or a CD player. In fact, the turntable is close to the only class of device that doesn’t historically create a line level output, hence the creation of the ‘phono’ input on most receivers ever made. Those inputs are connected to a built in pre-amp, such as the type Kumar speaks of, which is available as an external device. 

There is a digital HDMI ARC input on the Sonos Amp, but beyond that, the major difference between the two is outputs. The Sonos Amp has speaker posts that can power standard speakers, the Port can easily be connected to a receiver to send and receive signal from it, and push Sonos data to that receiver in addition to receiving a signal from it. 

As Kumar suggests, the Port is what you should be getting, and connecting to a tape loop on your receiver.

As Kumar suggests, the Port is what you should be getting, and connecting to a tape loop on your receiver.

That would address any complication of a phono preamp, but the sound from the Sonos speakers will have a slight lag as compared to the speakers wired to the receiver. If all are to be played at the same time, and can be heard across, this would not work well.

Wiring the turntable to the Port instead may call for a phono preamp in between, would have all speakers be in perfect sync, but with the tape deck left wired to the receiver, its output won't get to Sonos speakers.

The first option is available only if the receiver has tape out sockets.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I would recommend getting the Sonos Amp if your receiver has a tape output.  You will not need a phono preamp as you will be using the one in the receiver.  Let the Sonos Amp drive your loudspeakers, it is very good.  You will also be able to incorporate the other receiver based sources with the rest of your Sonos speakers and they will all play in sync with no lag.  All controlled from the Sonos App.

I would recommend getting the Sonos Amp if your receiver has a tape output.

That’s an innovative use of the Amp, for a price higher than the Port, which reduces the receiver to just be a phono pre amp and a source switcher. But if the lag I referred to is an issue that has to be addressed, this is a good solution. 

OP to note what is perhaps obvious: the speakers connected to the receiver will have to be connected to the Sonos Amp speaker terminals.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! You have provided interesting insights & solutions.
I am wanting to connect an old Yamaha receiver with both a phono input and an aux input. It also has input & output for two tape decks. It has connections for four speakers (two for “A” and two for “B”) such that I can direct sound to speakers A or B or A+B.
I don’t foresee me having Sonos speakers in the same room as the stereo system (stereo is in the basement rec room and the various Sonos speakers are in the rest of the house), so perhaps the Port will do the job.

I am wanting to connect an old Yamaha receiver with both a phono input and an aux input. It also has input & output for two tape decks. It has connections for four speakers (two for “A” and two for “B”) such that I can direct sound to speakers A or B or A+B.
I don’t foresee me having Sonos speakers in the same room as the stereo system (stereo is in the basement rec room and the various Sonos speakers are in the rest of the house), so perhaps the Port will do the job.

Yes, and the way to add the Port is to wire the receiver Tape Out to Analog In on the Port. That way the turntable and tape deck can be left undisturbed, and whatever is being played on the receiver can be selected to play on Sonos speakers, wirelessly sent to them via Port. There will be a slight lag, but if the basement is sound wise isolated from them, that will not matter.

Yes, and the way to add the Port is to wire the receiver Tape Out to Analog In on the Port. That way the turntable and tape deck can be left undisturbed, and whatever is being played on the receiver can be selected to play on Sonos speakers, wirelessly sent to them via Port. There will be a slight lag, but if the basement is sound wise isolated from them, that will not matter.

The solution for that is to have the receiver play the Port back through the Tape In, assuming the receiver has a ‘tape monitor loop’ mode. That way the signal back into the receiver would be delayed by the same amount as the Sonos players elsewhere.

The solution for that is to have the receiver play the Port back through the Tape In, assuming the receiver has a ‘tape monitor loop’ mode. That way the signal back into the receiver would be delayed by the same amount as the Sonos players elsewhere.

But if a turntable/tape deck was wired to the receiver, that would still play ahead of the Connect and other Sonos speakers? As would any radio built into the receiver and selected for play?

The tape loop mode would work to sync all speakers only where the Connect is the source for music from streaming services, or from a local NAS.

Whereas the @John76  method of using a Sonos amp would work for all sources - IF OP needed the sync bit, which he says he will not.

I would recommend getting the Sonos Amp if your receiver has a tape output.  You will not need a phono preamp as you will be using the one in the receiver.  Let the Sonos Amp drive your loudspeakers, it is very good.  You will also be able to incorporate the other receiver based sources with the rest of your Sonos speakers and they will all play in sync with no lag.  All controlled from the Sonos App.

I would agree with John in this case.  While I like the Port, I am not crazy about the idea of using it to preserving older equipment.   To me the question is, why are you holding on to your turntable and tape deck?  Is it because it’s what you already have, do you like the audio quality better than digital tracks and streaming services, or do you just like the aesthetics of it?  

I think the amp is a better option because it likely improves the the sound quality and allows you to drop your existing equipment in the future if/when you fine you don’t use the tape deck/turntable anymore.  When that time comes and you have a port, you’ll be looking at an amp, or third party amp to pair with the Port..

But again, if you love your old equipment and can’t imagine parting with it, then Port is a better option.

But if a turntable/tape deck was wired to the receiver, that would still play ahead of the Connect and other Sonos speakers? As would any radio built into the receiver and selected for play?

The tape loop method would play the selected receiver source (the turntable for example) from the Tape Out into the Port’s Line-In, which the Port would play back out of its Line-Out into the receiver’s Tape In.

Since the receiver is monitoring the tape loop the turntable signal it plays would be delayed by Sonos, to the same degree as other players in the group.

The tape loop method would play the selected receiver source (the turntable for example) from the Tape Out into the Port’s Line-In, which the Port would play back out of its Line-Out into the receiver’s Tape In.

Since the receiver is monitoring the tape loop the turntable signal it plays would be delayed by Sonos, to the same degree as other players in the group.

New learning...do all tape loop equipped amps behave this way? To play the turntable, one would have to select that input on the receiver. But that signal would not go to the speaker terminals, only the one received into the Tape In from the Port would? Would this routing require any button press on the receiver?

PS: Some amps have tape or line out without having the loop function...

New learning...do all tape loop equipped amps behave this way? To play the turntable, one would have to select that input on the receiver. But that signal would not go to the speaker terminals, only the one received into the Tape In from the Port would? Would this routing require any button press on the receiver?

Indeed. Such amps/receivers would have a separate ‘tape’ switch, to flip between the selected source and the tape input. The source selector itself did not include the tape in (else feedback could occur).

In the good old days of 3-head tape decks the input signal went to the record head, with the output signal taken from the playback head.  The loop thus monitored the actual quality of the recording onto and off the tape.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Just to back up what ratty is saying, this is exactly how I had my turntable/receiver/Connect set up, and how I always recommend people set theirs up. The great thing about it is that it gives you the option of bypassing the Connect/Port with a direct path to your amp/receiver when you’re just listening in that one room with your traditional stereo, but with a simple flick of the Tape Monitor switch you’re routing everything through the Connect/Port first, thereby syncing up with all of your Sonos speakers when necessary, while also making all of your inputs available to the Sonos system. They’re much less common now, but every receiver and integrated amplifier I owned up through the early ‘90s had a Tape Monitor function.

Indeed. Such amps/receivers would have a separate ‘tape’ switch, to flip between the selected source and the tape input. The source selector itself did not include the tape in (else feedback could occur).

In the good old days of 3-head tape decks the input signal went to the record head, with the output signal taken from the playback head.  The loop thus monitored the actual quality of the recording onto and off the tape.

I realised that my Yamaha stereo amp bought in 2010 has this function with a tape monitor press button, but never having used a tape deck or MD recorder, I had not researched the use! I suppose if my Connect was to be wired into the loop, toggling the button would sync/unsync other Sonos speakers playing from the Connect?

If this is a rare feature now and if the OP kit has it, he would be well advised to hold on to it. At this time we do not even know if it has a tape out feature, leave alone a loop.

Again, such great input and useful information from our Sonos community. Thanks again for all of your insight!!!