Playbase vs Beam Gen 2

• 6 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

Just looking to upgrade the master bedroom.. I’ve already got a couple Play Ones in there for music. Looking to pair them with either a Playbase or Beam Gen 2. I have an opportunity to get a new Playbase for $300. Vs $450 for the Beam Gen 2.  The TV is older so the lack of Dolby Atmos isn’t an issue at the moment. I am a bit concerned about future support for the Playbase. Not really concerned about not having Dolby Atmos in the bedroom.

Any thoughts? Thanks :) 

3 replies

So far, Sonos hasn’t dropped support for any speakers, so I wouldn’t be overly concerned on that point. It boils down to, at least in my mind, if you ever expect to replace that TV set or not. If it were me, I’d definitely go with the newer tech of the Beam Gen 2, just in case, but I recognize that sometimes cost is the controlling factor. 

Thanks Bruce,

I’m sure eventually the TV will get replaced. It’s an old plasma. Still a great tv though.. I’m not overly concerned about the latest/greatest in the bedroom. Pulled out all the stops for the living room 😉 I guess I’m thinking more about the performance of the Beam 2 vs the Playbase. I don’t have any experience with either. 

Most people don’t have both of them to give you a good comparison, but that being said, the Beam Gen 2 was developed several years after the PLAYBASE was initially designed, so likely has a better overall sound, and certainly better tech in terms of CPU and memory built in. But two different form factors, too, which likely has an impact. Both of them are great speakers.