Playbase Airplay:2 Question

• 27 April 2018
  • 5 replies

I was recently impressed when my daughter threw Channel 4 on my ipad onto her TV via an Apple TV box. I have two Play:3 speakers and a Boost in my lounge. My question is: can I throw Channel 4 onto my TV via Playbase with audio out to my Play:3 speakers?

A secondary question must be can I subsequently push my TV audio out to the same Play:3 speakers.

Advice and Guidance much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, just group the Play 3 speakers with the playbase
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Hi,

Not sure exactly what you mean, but...

If you are asking about using AirPlay 2 to “view” Channel 4 on your TV from an iPad, then the answer is no. Sonos Playbar is audio only, where as the AppleTV supports video AirPlay streaming as well as audio.

If you are asking can the iPad use AirPlay 2 to play audio only on the Play 3’s, then IF they are in the same group as the Playbar then yes... but any non AirPlay 2 Sonos speakers (physical button speakers) like the Play 3 can not directly support AirPlay 2, only if they are in the same group as a device that does support AirPlay 2.

So it you had a play 1 in the kitchen and a Sonos One in the bedroom you could AirPlay to the bedroom and you could group the bedroom and kitchen together and Airplay to BOTH at the same time, but not just the kitchen.

This is based on what I have read, as AirPlay 2 has not been released on Sonos yet
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sorry, to clarify. I was assuming your TV is airplay compatible or has apple TV added then the answer is whatever you can play on your TV (and then the Playbase), can be shared on the rest of your Sonos equipment. You can airplay to SkyQ boxes too.

The up and coming Airplay 2 compatibility will enable this on the Playbase directly so you wont need Apple TV or a compatible TV/box. Again this sound can then be played on any of you Sonos kit.

What is uncertain with Airplay 2 compatibility is weather you can group Airplay compatible speakers with another non compatible speaker in the house to get music from Airplay and then ungroup the compatible speaker and if the music will still play on the non compatible speaker. I think BMF may be right and this won't work, but we are not 100% sure yet
Hope that makes sense.
Apologies for the delayed response.

BMF has responded thinking that the question relates to a Playbar! However, it appears that the new playbase is Airplay audio compatible only and would not replace the requirement to acquire an Apple TV to hook into a spare HDMI on my relatively dumb television. Appreciate that only the latest Play:x speakers support Airplay; hence the need to group with the new playbase.

Thanks to all contributors; you have been a great help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Sorry, I said Playbar when I meant Playbase... but what I said is still valid if you replace “bar” for “base”

Bottom line if the Play3’s are grouped with the Playbase then Aitplay2 will work... but if the Play3’s are not grouped with the Playbase they will not support AirPlay 2.

But you will need a Apple TV to use video