Answered

Playbar / Playbase upgrade

• 28 February 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello,

Is there any word on when there will be a successor to the Playbar / Playbase (ie a Playbar 2.0)? 

I’ve recently begun enjoying a Beam and was doing a lot of comparison shopping before hand. It seems the Playbar is woefully out of date in terms of technology (No HDMI port? No Apple Airplay compatibility? It’s 2020 now...) 

I understand by all accounts that the Playbar sounds nice. But all Sonos products sound nice!

I’d love to have something a bit more substantial for my home theatre setup than the Beam, but I’m really struggling to see the cost justification.

So does anyone know of any new generation or new product line coming down the pipe?

Thanks

James

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 February 2020, 15:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There’s no information currently, only lots of speculation by those of us who agree with you, and talk about what features we’d like to see. 

I thought that might be the case…

Thanks

The struggle is real… I’ve been waiting for an updated Playbar in WHITE for years and years but nope. Even mailed their former CEO about it… no answer of course but still it has been a topic for quite some time especially on the old forum. As Sonos continue to release new and updated versions of the other speakers in their product line (all of which has a white option except for the Playbar), news and interest in updating the Playbar just seems non-existent and Sonos doesn’t listen to what, at least many of us, want.

I have a few of the Sonos speakers already (white ones of course) - I love them and do want deeply to continue with Sonos, but I’ve always said to myself that when we renovate our livingroom in our house - that’s the deadline for my Sonos Playbar patience and it’s now coming to an end. In two or three weeks the renovating will be done and Sonos will be unfortunately out. I just came here one last time, or something like that, to check out the latest (still hoping) about any updated (WHITE) Playbar… but its been like this for years and my patience and loyalty are now gone.

I will sell my Sonos speakers and look for substitutes for my current setup and also get a WHITE updated soundbar from a vendor that listens.

I have a suspicion that *something* is happening in regards to the Playbar in the next few months. All of a sudden the Playbar’s base price drops from $799 to $749 (CAD). 
The only reason I can see a price drop is as a precursor to it being discontinued. Maybe it will be replaced with a new version of a sound bar. Hard to say. But I’m seeing a trend that all the product lines that have “play” in them are being phased out. The Play 1 is simply the Sonos One. The Play 3 is gone without a replacement yet... 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Playbase is only 3 years old so i doubt we see a new one soon, Im also waiting for a new playbar, black or white i dont care i just want 1

if they dont release 1 i think i go for the beam until the playbar comes out 

I just got a Beam a few months ago. I’m very happy