Play:5 Stereo Pair vs. Playbase and Sub

• 25 April 2018
  • 5 replies

I currently have a play:5 (gen2) stereo pair in the living room (on either side of the TV on the mantle) that i use for music, but i also have a playbase in there (under said TV). I'm wondering if it might be worth adding a sub to the playbase and using the 5s elsewhere in the house. Obviously the sound will be different and the stereo separation would be lacking, so I guess I'm just looking for qualitative opinions.

Has anyone tried both of these combinations?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I don't have that exact setup, but I do have an opinion (surprise!)

I think it depends on what you listen to most. If you watch a lot of movies, then add the SUB to the PLAYBASE. If you listen more to music, add it to the PLAY:5s room.

And frankly, you probably should get one, and try both configurations, and see which one you prefer.

I think it depends on what you listen to most. If you watch a lot of movies, then add the SUB to the PLAYBASE. If you listen more to music, add it to the PLAY:5s room.

it's a pretty even mix of movies and music in that room. it's funny, the playbase alone sounds great for movies, but we found it lacking for music, hence the play:5 pair. for music, the pair of 5s is fantastic, and i'm wondering how much the sub would really add to them. they are already quite rich in the low end...
There was a ton of discussion early on about that. In my most humble opinion, it boils down to your ears, and I can't tell you one is better than the other. It it was me, I'd buy 2 and connect one to each "room" 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Well I think you just answer your own question. Unless bass was the only thing lacking on the playbase, the playbase and sub should fix that. If not then play 5 is what you should use for music. And adding a sub to the play 5 will really crank out the bass with music.
Just use the 5's as rear speakers for the base. Probably overkill, but with surround/music set to full you will get the most out of all speakers and I doubt you will need a sub.