Play 5 Pair versus Beam with Sub for TV/Movies

• 21 March 2020
  • 1 reply

I currently have two Play 5s (Gen 2) set up a stereo pair with a Sub. I use them for music as well as watching TV/Movies.

All of the TV / Movies we watch is via the Apple TV, sending the audio to the Sonos system via AirPlay. It works perfectly, no audio sync issues at all. The only negative is having to re-select the output (Airplay to Sonos) every time we turn the Apple TV on, but that is hardly a big deal. 

In terms of performance, I feel that movies with a lot of music in them sound incredible. The Play 5s really shine. However, for movies with a lot of dialogue or movies with sound effects (think action movies), something is missing. The system doesn’t sound bad by any means, but for example dialogue could be more clear and sound effects could have more direction and impact. 

So I am wondering about buying a Beam, to be used with the Sub specifically for TV/Movies, and moving the Play 5 Stereo pair (without the sub) to the other side of the room as a dedicated music system.

So the question is, whether the Beam+Sub is going to be a better system specifically for TV/Movies, improving on the sound I already have with the Play 5s? 

Playbar is not really an option unless an updated version is released. 

Thanks in advance. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I can’t evaluate a comparison with the Play 5’s; but I find the Beam paired with a Sub is great for tv and even does a fine job with music. I also have a stereo pair of BW 704’s connected through the Sonos Amp and I find using the Amp and 704’s great for music. All subjective.