Play:5 Gen 1 Vs Beam and 2no Play:1

• 28 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I have a Gen 1 Play:5 and have been considering upgrading it (with the upgrade program) to a new Beam soundbar.  

It would then be the main speaker in my Lounge and I know the Beam cant compete with the play:5 for sound quality.  However, I also have two Play:1 that I don’t use.  

The question is, would Beam linked to 2 play:1 for 5.1 be comparable to the older play:5 for music quality?  

I thought this was a good option to get a set up for my TV whilst using the play:1s and not forking out the money buying a new Play:5.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @amacaskill, thank you for reaching out to the Sono community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

The Sonos Play 5 is our biggest home speaker with the boldest sound. With its feature, it can fill a room with great sound. The hardware and software custom-designed by Sonos to produce a pure, immersive sound that’s crystal clear at any volume. Play 5 is powered by three tweeters and three mid-woofers, each with a dedicated amplifier, perfectly tuned to match the speakers and acoustic architecture. Pair two Play:5s for left-right stereo sound, or use two Play:5s as rear surrounds for your home theater. For a single Play:5 speaker we recommend positioning the speaker horizontally, enabling stereo sound over a wide sound stage. (A single Play:5 speaker positioned in vertical mode is a mono speaker—there is no stereo separation.) If you upgrade your Play 5 to Sonos Beam, you can add your 2 Play 1’s as surrounds speaker in a 5.0 home theater setup. All Sonos home theater products are compatible with stereo / PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 / AC3 auto formats. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. You’re always welcome here in the community.