Play 5 (2) or Fives, or One's SL or Era 100?

• 29 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have a Play 5 Gen 2 and was hoping to add a new Five to form a stereo pair. I have just discovered this is not possible and I have to either buy two Five's to achieve this or find myself a second hand Play 5 Gen 2 to marry up with my existing.

I'm now considering other options such as a pair of One's SL (still available) with a mini sub. Has anyone any experience regarding the sound quality of this setup compared to a pair of Fives?

Also looking at a pair of Era 100 with or without the mini sub. Anyone got any thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I don’t think there’s really a wrong choice here.  Play:5s and Fives have the same audio capabilities, though Fives are newer hardware.  Sonos products do tend to hold up well, so I don’t think gettting a used play:5 is a bad option either.

I would opt for Era 100s over One SLs.  I understand that you aren’t interested in voice control, but you are getting a better speaker, better hardware, plus bluetooth and aux inputs.  The One SLs aren’t bad though.  If you’re in a small to medium size room (say around 100-150 sqft), either pair + mini sub is a good option.  For a larger room, I would recommend going with the full sub, or sticking with the Fives/Play:5s...maybe with a full sub.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking and will probability go for the Era 100 pair and a mini sub. On a slightly different note, I also have a Beam (2) underneath a tv in the same room I want to place the Era's and sub. Don't want the sub for tv viewing so I presume you can choose your preferred setup in the app? Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes, you can add the Sub to either Sonos Room.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Decided to go for the Era 100 pair and a mini sub. My Play:5 qualified for the upgrade program so not too much damage done to the wallet.  Should be interesting comparing the new setup with the one Play:5. Thanks for your replies.