Play 3 or Play 1

• 7 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Looking to jump into the Sonos world. Best Buy close to my house has play 3’s open box for $189 and play 1’s open box for $125. I’d prefer a pair for stereo sound. Primary use will be in the living room, which is fairly large. Is it worth the extra $64 to step up to the play 3. I’m not that interested in the Sonos one as we have several echo and dots in our home and don’t need Alexa built in.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I really like the Play 3s but as they have been discontinued by Sonos I hesitate to suggest buying them. If I was going to do it I'd grab a pair to use in stereo mode in a mid-sized room, 10x10 to 15x15. Smaller and a pair of Play 1s would do the job, bigger the Play 5 or adding a Sub to 3s or 1s would fit.

Be wary of Best Buy, get the MAC / Serial numbers off the ones you are considering and contact Sonos to make sure they are fairly new and eligible for the Sonos warranty. I didn't do that and ended up getting several year old Sonos equipment that had been damaged by being stored in a steel shipping container in the Arizona summer sun.
Great advice, thank you!