Pair Sonos with wireless smart projector

• 14 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Dear Experts,

I have just purchased this wireless projector:

http://www.brookstone.com/pd/200-lumen-wireless-mobile-smart-projector/318023p.html?autosuggest=true

This can easily be paired with bluetooth speakers, but not so easy with Sonos. I have play1, playOne, playbar and the sub and I would like to be able to get the sound from this projector to the Sonos system. What extra equipment will I need?

The projector as and audio output, USB and and HDMI port.

Thanks you for helpful advice!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Well, that's really not a good projector to use with Sonos, or any sound system really. The USB and HDMI are inputs, not useful for audio output. Your only real options are using 3.5mm output and Bluetooth...converted to optical input on the playbar.

I did a quick search for 3.5mm to optical and I didn't see anything really. You can get Bluetooth recievers to optical llike the one below...

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-4-1-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless/dp/B0756QL4VV/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529002558&sr=1-3&keywords=bluetooth+to+optical+receiver

...but I would be concerned about getting delays between audio and video.

if you plan on using this with an hdmi input source only, then maybe you can get an hdmi to hdmi +optical splitter and handle it that way.

Honestly, if you plan on using this with your playbar fulltime, I'd look to getting a projector with better audio output. Take this one back to the store if you can. This looks like it's more designed for portable use, with audio coming from the projector itself or from portable Bluetooth speakers.

General rule of thumb, always figure out how your new equipment is going to work with your old equipment before you buy new equipment, not after.
Thanks, Danny. This is not something I bought to use permanently with the sonos system. We only use it for fun outdoors. But now I wanted to set it up and play music videos and Kahoot quiz on the outdoor house walls, so not too concerned about the delay, just wanted to check if it was even possible to set it up with the sonos speakers at all. Have a portable bluetooth speaker as well, but sound is not as good. I will check if it is possible to use the bluetooth to optical receiver as you mentioned, just for this purpose 🙂
Ok good. Hopefully a Bluetooth receiver will work for you.