Question

Own a play:1 pair, what to get next?!

• 15 September 2016
  • 16 replies

Badge +2
Quite a simple really. I currently own two play:1 set as a stereo pair at one end of my open plan rectangle living room dining room (facing into the room from the dinning room end wall but clearly audible from the living room). They really are great speakers for the size and I am now looking into my next sonos purchase. These are the options I am considering;

1/ Add a sub to my current setup.
2/ Buy a play:5 to replace my current setup (which would then be distributed between the kitchen and bathroom) which would also allow me to add a record player in the future but loose out on the stereo separation I now enjoy.
3/ Buy a play:1 for the kitchen and for the bathroom.

I had thought about the soundbar but I am a little put off by what I have read about DTS and TV pass-through issues.

So tell me, what would you do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

The Sub is awesome. But if I were you, I'd get a feel for the multi-room aspect by getting a Play:1 in other rooms. Multi-room is where Sonos really shines. Then go back for the Sub/Play:5 another time. But only you can know if that's what you want.
Userlevel 3
Quite a simple really. I currently own two play:1 set as a stereo pair at one end of my open plan rectangle living room dining room (facing into the room from the dinning room end wall but clearly audible from the living room). They really are great speakers for the size and I am now looking into my next sonos purchase. These are the options I am considering;

1/ Add a sub to my current setup.
2/ Buy a play:5 to replace my current setup (which would then be distributed between the kitchen and bathroom) which would also allow me to add a record player in the future but loose out on the stereo separation I now enjoy.
3/ Buy a play:1 for the kitchen and for the bathroom.

I had thought about the soundbar but I am a little put off by what I have read about DTS and TV pass-through issues.

So tell me, what would you do?

I have a room setup similar to yours, though I have stereo Play:3's in my dining room that are audible from my living room. I bought a Play:1 for the living room, which I group with the stereo pair, which just helps bring the sound and greater clarity into the living area. Maybe I'll add a second Play:1 to it in the future.
But if I were you, I'd get a feel for the multi-room aspect by getting a Play:1 in other rooms.
I agree; but if you have a large and easily accessible kitchen, put the record player and a 5 unit in it. Of course that will take away some of the reasons for having a record player, for other people to see and wonder at it:-) But that will allow music from it to be heard in both or just either of the two places.
The record player will possibly need an external phono amp, depending on what kind you have/buy.
Badge +2
Thanks for your comments. I think I will "buy and try" both a sub and a play:5 through Sonos. The 100 day return policy seems a good opportunity to test both set-ups. One of the minor complaint I have read regarding the sub is that if you listen to diverse music genres, which I do, you might have to alter the strength of the bass quite often to compensate. As I am not really a bass-head, maybe the sub would be too much. However, if it compliments my play:1 without being too over-powering then maybe a sub would be a worthwhile investment.
Worthwhile is always subjective, and the best way to decide is to try at home whenever possible. I found the Sub very worthwhile for a play 1 set up and I am no bass head either. The Sub adds a welcome richness to the sound at low listening levels as well, and I have not had to disturb its output level, once set to taste for one music genre.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I think I would forget the sub(only really needed with movies when it gets its own .1 special track), get 2 x play5's for living room set-up as stereo pair (more bass than play1s, better sound stage), move play1s to bedroom and kitchen.
Badge +2
Worthwhile is always subjective, and the best way to decide is to try at home whenever possible. I found the Sub very worthwhile for a play 1 set up and I am no bass head either. The Sub adds a welcome richness to the sound at low listening levels as well, and I have not had to disturb its output level, once set to taste for one music genre.

Kumar, have you any experience of the play:5? If so, how do you find a single unit compares to a play:1 stereo pair plus sub? I really enjoy the stereo separation my play:1 pair provide, does a play:5 provide a comparable experience?
I have only played around with the new 5 unit, and it is impressive. But physics will always prevent it from offering the stereo effect that a play 1 pair can, when properly placed with respect to the listening position.

And the play 1 pair + Sub completely outclasses a single 5 unit. For much the same reasons of stereo effects. So no, while a better speaker than the 1 on an apples to apples basis, it isn't comparable to a 1 pair + Sub. The only advantage it would offer is the line in feature that the 1 does not have.

But if you are getting a 5 and a Sub on a buy/try basis, you don't really need anything more than trying different set ups for yourself - quite easy to with Sonos kit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a Play:5 (both the old one and a 2nd Gen).

It is a very good room filling speaker. However, 2 play:1s with a sub is going to beat it out with stereo separation and lower end ability.

2 Play:5's setup in stereo would be a much closer comparable to 2 Play:1s with sub. You would get a little better mid range with that setup but still not the low end the sub gives the Play:1s.
Badge +2
So that's a sub and play:5 ordered, I will keep you posted on my impressions!
Good call. I am sure you will get an optimal combination of that with what you have in place, once you play around with the additions. Hopefully you have or can borrow a iPhone to run Trueplay to get the best out of the kit; bear in mind that every location or combination change will need Trueplay to be run again.
Badge +2
So my order is due to arrive in the next few days. Is there anything I should keep in mind regarding the return policy? As I understand it, items returns to the Sonos store should be in new or as-new condition. Has anyone any experience of returning items to Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You should obviously keep the original packaging.

I assume you would arrange the return via RMA - So they would send you the label for a return shipment - you pack them up, add the label and take to your nearest (DHL?) collection point.

Regards
Userlevel 7
Hi p1rate_chris

Great that you are going to audition the Play 5 and Sub. I’m just going to add some information that may come in handy when making your evaluation. This is more to do room design, speaker positioning and use of the Sonos tuning app - Tureplay.

You currently have your Play 1’s positioned to your liking. The one factor that I and others don’t know is are the Play 1’s on a Sonos Play 1 Stand, shelf or something else. The Sonos stands (for all Sonos speakers) are designed to place them at ear level when seated. As you have ordered a Play 5 (for auditioning purposes) I assume you did not order a stand. Besides what would be the point if you decide not to keep the Play 5.

The size of the Play 5 is going to dictate where you place it in reference to where your Play 1’s are currently positioned. The ideal comparison spot would be at the same height of the Play 1’s in the middle of the two – equal distance left to right. If you can’t place the Play 5 in that manner your conclusions - Play 5 versus Play 1’s stereo pair - may be slightly influenced. However as others have said a Stereo Pair of Play 1’s will most likely provide better separation even if the Play 5 is positioned optimally for comparison.

Another point about the Play 5 is that it can be positioned horizontally or vertically. When the Play 5 is positioned vertically it outputs as a mono speaker. So obviously you don’t want to position it vertically for your auditioning. However, two Play 5’s positioned vertically can be joined as a stereo pair which narrows the sound stage for a more focused “sweet” spot versus two Play 5’s in stereo pair in a horizontal position; which widens the sound stage.

Reference the Sonos Sub…I have one in my setup with (Gen2) Play 5’s in stereo pair. Some will argue that a sub isn’t necessary with two Play 5’s; but that’s my personal choice. Back to your concern about having to re- adjust the Sub output for different genres of music. I’ve found that setting the Sub (output) manually at neutral or slightly below neutral suffices for most genres. I listen to smooth jazz with and without vocals as well as R&B and all sound good to me. However, listening is a subjective experience and only you can make the final decision.

Sonos does provide a room tuning app integrated into the Sonos Controller called Trueplay. You can read more about how it works at this link: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3555.

The short version is that Trueplay is designed to adjust your speakers according to speaker position, room dimensions, wall surfaces and furnishings. Trueplay is not a silver bullet – one person commented (in another thread) that speaker positioning was irrelevant with Trueplay – NOT SO. Trueplay requires that you follow conventional wisdom in speaker placement in order for it to work properly. As I said Trueplay is not a silver bullet - the results based upon the listener’s perception - can range from improvement to neutral to worsening. Only you can make that decision. I have used Trueplay and in some rooms (to my perception) there is an audible improvement and in some not (neutral). I’ve not experienced a situation where the sound was worsened after using Tureplay (but I guess anything is possible).

Trueplay requires an iOS device as it will not (yet) work with Android. Additionally it will not work with the Sonos Playbar.

Last, you mentioned adding a record player at some point. FYI, to do so will require that you add a Connect or Connect: Amp to the mix. The Connect: Amp adds the versatility to use wired speakers (that you may already have) to provide stereo playback. The Connect: Amp may be more cost-effective (assuming you use your own wired speakers) and open–up placement options for the record player.

I hope this additional information proves useful as you move forward to expand your Sonos speaker system.

Cheers!
I’ve not experienced a situation where the sound was worsened after using Tureplay (but I guess anything is possible).

Excellent post! To the quoted, neither have I, but some may have a subjective preference for sound untouched by Trueplay. For example, those that like some bass bloom to their sound and to these, Trueplay may render the sound too crisp/lean.
Userlevel 7
I’ve not experienced a situation where the sound was worsened after using Tureplay (but I guess anything is possible).

To the quoted, neither have I, but some may have a subjective preference for sound untouched by Trueplay. For example, those that like some bass bloom to their sound and to these, Trueplay may render the sound too crisp/lean.

Agreed. Thanks for supporting my post!

Cheers!