Outdoor Speaker Setup Options

• 2 January 2022
  • 7 replies

I've read a variety of topics and haven't found one exactly answering this question so I apologize if this is an easy one or if it has been answered before.

Bottom line - I'm exploring my options for connecting outdoor speakers to my current Denon AVR-X4300H (I think that's the model, not terribly important I guess).  My current setup is just 3.1 (LCR and sub setup).  I want to be able to play my music from either my TV, receiver, turntable connected to receiver, etc on outdoor speakers.  So far what I think I've learned and is accurate:

- I can purchase any old outdoor speakers and wire them to my receiver under zone 2. 

- one Sonos option is: outdoor architectural speakers, but that would still require wired connection to the sonor port or amp.

- if I purchased one of the Sonos wireless speakers (one of waterproof portable ones), could I wirelessly connect them to a Sonos Port that's connected to my receiver?  I know a highlight of this would be allowing my receiver to be brought into the "Sonos world" but could it also be the other way around - and allow my receiver to play audio through the port to the wireless speaker that happens to be placed outside? 

I know these waterproof speakers will require me to charge them inside and bring them outside when needed.  

Hope this all make sense - thank you! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

hi @Future55 I am using a Sonos Move and Sonos Roam for outdoors and they work well with my other Sonos speakers, including the Sonos port

Are you able to play audio through your receiver (could be from the TV, record player, media player) through the port to the roam/move?  

yes indeed, the Sonos Move and Roam can be grouped with the port 

Userlevel 7

As long as you are OK bringing the speakers indoors in weather extremes using a pair of Roams or Moves in stereo pair with a Port connected to your Denon…then go for it. 

Other factors to consider is that to use a stereo pair the speakers must be on WiFi. Bluetooth does not support stereo pairing. Depending on the area you want to cover either the Roams nor Moves may be adequate (the Moves however are more robust).

Although, more expensive Sonos Outdoor speakers by Sonance will give the option to add a 3rd party outdoor Sub. The Port would still be required to send Turntable audio to the speakers.

Correct - but the outdoor architectural still require the speakers to be physically connected to the port, right?  And yeah I think either a single move or 2 moves is the best bet.  Allows music/audio to stream from my denon without having to run speaker wire all the way. Thanks for the support.  I just wanted to be sure the moves could be used in the manner through the amp - which seems pretty obvious that they could - but it seems the big advertising push for the port was giving access to the sonos world to your other receiver/speakers vs pumping audio from them through the port to the moves. 

Userlevel 7

Actually the Port is designed to do several things:

Gateway for an AV receiver when connected to it’s (AV Receiver) line-out with connected components to send their audio to other Sonos

To connect a turntable or CD player via it’s line-in when no AV receiver is present to send their audio to other Sonos. Turntable requires either a built-in or outboard pre-amp)

To allow streaming to an AV receivers speakers when that AV does not have internet streaming capabilities

Note: You cannot wire speakers to a Port they must be wired to a Sonos Amp.

True - absolutely my fault - you're right the outdoor speakers aren't powered so you'd need the amp vs the port.  I do appreciate all the help and think I've got the answer I need.  Excited to place and order for the port and wait for it to get in!