Our use case - use arc for home theatre and for indoor/outdoor party entertainment

• 26 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Not sure how unusual a use case this is, but we have  two sonos arc, one in our media room with the projector and one in the main living room under the TV, next to the garden. We use them separately for watching movies locally to the room.

When we are watching movies on the TV we want dolby atmos sound output only from the arc mounted under the TV.  When we want to entertain guests at a party, we instead want to use the arc for playing our Spotify playlists, while also having it somehow paired with outdoor speakers that play the same music outdoors in sync with the arc indoors.

What product would make sense to do this, and, can the sonos accommodate this somewhat quirky use case? 

We would prefer to not buy an amp and passive speakers, but rather plug one or two wireless sonos speakers of some kind into the power outlet outdoors that already exist under the patio cover, and keep them permanently there.  Rain and sun would not reach them.

We only want it to play whatever the arc plays when it is used for entertainment, but not when we use the arc while watching movies. 

Also will it be possible to control the volume output of the outdoor speakers separately from the arc indoors? 

I heard there is a concept of ‘rooms’ but not sure how this all would work together. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

If you don’t want to use a Sonos Amp and outdoor passive speakers (which is the best option), you could put a couple of Sonos Moves on the patio. They are portable so they can be used anywhere inside or outside of the house (within range of your WiFi network). They can also be set up as a stereo pair on the patio if you choose to do so.

When you are entertaining, you simply group the Moves with the Arc in the Sonos app and you will be able to play the same music from Spotify on both the Arc and Moves. The volume of the Arc and Moves can also be controlled independently.

The Move has an IP rating of IP56, meaning it is resistant to water such as splashes, rain, and snow, but is not waterproof. Although Sonos recommends the Move to be stored indoors with the charging base as it is not rated to withstand long-term outdoor exposure. You’ll just have to decide whether or not your covered patio will provide adequate protection for the Move if you plan to keep it there permanently.

isn't it a lot more expensive to use a sonos amp and passive speakers and wire for that than just using wireless move speakers? 

Userlevel 7

isn't it a lot more expensive to use a sonos amp and passive speakers and wire for that than just using wireless move speakers? 

Yes, it is more expensive. But you can use passive speakers rated for permanent outdoor use and not have to worry about the Moves being damaged from being outdoors during really hot or cold days. Or just get the Moves and keep them inside during the hot summer and cold winter months.

I looked at operating and storing temperature for the Move - so if I keep it outdoors but am not using it, is that considered being subject to storage or operating temperature ranges. We have seen 25F to 117F at our home last year:

Operating temperature 32° to 113° F (0° to 45° C)
Storage temperature -13° to 158° F (-25° to 70° C)
Userlevel 7

I looked at operating and storing temperature for the Move - so if I keep it outdoors but am not using it, is that considered being subject to storage or operating temperature ranges. We have seen 25F to 117F at our home last year:

Operating temperature 32° to 113° F (0° to 45° C)
Storage temperature -13° to 158° F (-25° to 70° C)

If they are not in use, it is the storage temperature.

We are now planning to use the Era 100 instead as they are half the cost, also wireless and almost as durable from temperature standpoint. We don't need them to be portable, so having a battery would be overkill, just plugging into wall outlet will be fine for us. Anything I may have overlooked?