Answered

new system with with exitsting rears

• 2 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello and thanks in advance.   I’m reconfiguring my room but i have some questions.  I have an existing in ceiling rear speakers.  My plan is to have a new tv and Sonos Arc and sub.  I have wired rears going to a different location than the Arc and Sub but everything will be connected to the same WiFi. So my questions are:

1. can the AMP be set up to act as rear surrounds?  
  2. will the AMP connect over WiFi to the ARC (which is connect directly to the tv and wirelessly to the same WiFi network) - or do they need to be hardwired together somehow?
  3. the Sub wirelessly connects correct?
  4. any suggestion / help would be appreciated 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 August 2021, 18:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

1. Yes. Although the subwoofer output is disabled in this configuration
  2. Yes, no hard wire necessary for the Amp, it will connect via its own private wifi signal (not yours) to the Arc. 
  3. Yes.
  4. If you currently have the rears set up as surrounds, and the Sub connected, make sure you un-bond them from whatever device they are set to before dropping in the new Arc. Makes life a little easier. 

The rears are in ceiling and passive to be connected to the Sonos AMP.  All of the Sonos equipment will be new (i don’t own any currently). The tv will be a Samsung model with all the apps (Apple / Hulu) built in.  The goal is simplicity vs the existing receiver / multiple remotes etc  

so as i understand it:

1. as suggested (Arc, Sub & Amp) this will function as a 5.1 / atmos setup.
  2. the tv will connect to the Arc via HDMI but everything else (sub & amp) will connect to each other via a proprietary WiFi connection)

am i missing or forgetting anything?

also noticed the comment sub will be disabled?

Note that if the Amp is located somewhere else in the house -- in a closet, say, well away from the Arc -- the dedicated wireless connection could fail. It’s at 5GHz, which isn’t great at penetrating construction.

Thank you. 

it will be in a closet but about 8/10 feet from the ARC…. The door is Louvered wood.  Does that seem plausible?

is there a way to hard wire the ARC to the AMP as a backup plan?

That should work fine.