Music listening with single Era 300 compared to Arc

• 16 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone! I got me a single Era 300 and would like to know how you would compare it to Arc with music listening? Better, worse, same?

I would like to update my passive stereo setup (2.1) to Arc to improve the sound when watching TV in my living room but the same stereo is being used for the music currently. I would prefer not to keep the stereo system for music only and would like to hear your opinions if Arc would be a good enough replacement for music also?

I did try the Era 300 in front of the TV and listened to Dolby Atmos music. It didn’t sound that much of a surround but more like wide stereo with some sounds coming from above the speaker. Is the Arc better in creating a surround sound? Would you think that this experiment would give me any hint if the room is going to work for surround sound coming from single speaker? The room is not ideal but not the worst either. 

And by the way, the Era 300 is not going to be in the living room. It was just an expirement.

I know I can try the Arc and return if I don’t like it but it’s a long way when they ship it to my location (2600km from the nearest shipping warehouse to be precise).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You’ll need a speaker that can decode a 5.1 or Atmos source and send the appropriate signal to the relevant speaker. The Arc can do this. It will require a pair of speakers for the rears; a single Era will not suffice. 

The Arc is reasonable for music play, though a pair of Eras or Fives would be better and will give a much wider soundstage. 

In most regions, Sonos offers a generous home trial period. Buy the Arc and see how it sounds in your home; return it if you’re not happy with it.