Multi Zone & TV Surround Setup

• 11 September 2018
  • 6 replies

I am looking to create a multi-zone system in my home using built in speakers and running home run wires to separate connect:amps to create my zones. I will have zones in the traditional places ie., kitchen, living room, outside, etc. but, my question is how do I set up my TV room? I want to have surround sound in my TV/Living room so, is there an easy way to be able to use the previously mentioned built in speakers that are connected to the connect:amp for the TV and still be able to use those speakers for music (not at the same time)? Do I need to separate connect:amps for the same set of speakers? Or, is it easier just to buy a sonos surround sound system for my TV and keep it separate? Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The CONNECT:AMP can indeed be used to power surround speakers.

Setting up CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers

The caveat is that you must use a Sonos soundbar in order to do so. That's a PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, or Beam, all of which contain the Left, Center and Right speakers in a single enclosure.

It isn't clear from your description as to how many built in speakers you're trying to drive. If you have more than the two that would be used for surrounds, you could just connect them to a separate CONNECT:AMP and set them up as a different room for playing just music, rather than connecting it to the TV's room in the software.
Thank you for the response! I am not sure how many speakers I am going to use, but I just wanted to check if there would be an issue using the same speakers that are connected to the connect:amp (which I would use for music) for my tv as well. Are you saying if I get a soundbar for my tv it can connect automatically to my living room zone whenever my TV is on? Thanks!
To add to what Bruce said, you may want to hold off a few months until the new Sonos amp comes out.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/introducing-sonos-amp-6812069

In an HT setting, a Sonos amp can also be used for the front speakers similar to the Playbar, Playbase, or Beam.
Danny (melvimbe) does have a good point. I'd certainly consider holding off for a few months to get the new Amp, since it won't require a wired connection to the soundbar in order to provide surround signals to the speakers.

In answer to your direct question, your soundbar that is connected to your TV becomes one "room" in the Sonos software. That "room" (named whatever you choose) can be grouped with any other Sonos "room" that you have. The slight caveat is that there might be a slight delay between the sound coming from the soundbar and the other "room" while playing TV sound. But if you've got surrounds set up with the soundbar, there'd be effectively no delay at all, either with the current CONNECT:AMP, or the upcoming Amp. And certainly no delay when streaming music from the Sonos system.
Awesome, thanks Bruce, for the help! That was what I was looking for!
Happy to be of assistance! If you run in to any other issues, feel free to ask. There's an excellent community of users here who enjoy answering questions, and helping out. And to be honest, the Sonos folks are pretty wonderful too. 🙂