Multi Zone Audio System

• 18 November 2021
  • 2 replies

I am moving into a new house with a 7.1 prewire for ceiling speakers in the living room, two speakers in the kitchen, and two outside. I would like to be able to play music on all 3 zones or have 7.1 system playing whatever is on the TV while also playing music on the other 2 zones (if I can’t do this, it’s not a deal breaker, but I want to be able to play music on all 3 zones for sure). What is the best way to accomplish this with Sonos? All music will be the same source, but I don’t always want the music on each zone, so I’d like to choose which zone it plays on.

These will be non sonos branded speakers if that matters. Do I buy a receiver/amp that can run multiple zones and then one Sonos port for all 11 speakers? I would like to queue music either with my phone, google home, or a Brilliant switch. Would this be possible without having to run over to a physical box somewhere and change an input? 

Thanks for the help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Connect a Sonos Port to the 7.1 receiver for the living room, and get two Sonos Amps - one to power the kitchen speakers and one to power the outside speakers. This would give you three different zones that you can play music through the Sonos app.

If you prefer not to use all in-ceiling speakers for your home theater setup, consider getting a Sonos Arc or Beam (Gen 2) and Sonos Sub and use two of your rear in-ceiling speakers as surround speakers powered by a Sonos Amp.

Helo Pilot,

While I’m not a fan of using ceiling speakers for TV surround sound, you could use a SONOS AMP for the front L/R speakers and another AMP for the surrounds. This would be a 4.1 system if you are also using a SONOS SUB.

In SONOS lingo, ‘Zones’ are called ‘Rooms’. The surround setup and each of the other AMP’s would be a Room. Music can be played in any combination of Rooms. Different music can play in each Room or you can ‘Group’ a  bunch of Rooms to play the same music. Volume can be adjusted individually for each Room or a Group.