Is a Subwoofer necessary with 2 Play 5 as stereo sound

• 12 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +3
I have 2 play5s as stereo sound. The bass seems very good. Would I gain any improved fidelity by adding a subwoofer to the system? Like I said the bass seems very fine without a subwoofer. Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You would get more fidelity in two ways: the very low frequencies would be richer particularly at low sound levels, and because the 5 units are left to deliver only the middle/higher frequencies, these would also be better rendered.
However the value delivered would not be as much as it would for a play 1 pair which does not have the kind of woofers the 5 units already has, and this becomes something that is best assessed by a listening test to decide whether the improved sound is worth the price of the Sub.
Badge +3
Thank you Kumar. Nice explanation. Like you said, I do not know if the increase in the sound quality would be worth the cost of the sub but more over the wrath of the wife.
The only way to do this is make sure she does not find out what the Sub costs. Even if it makes sense for you where the value game is concerned.
Badge +3
Again, Kumar, very good advice.