Answered

In ceiling speaker

• 21 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I am planning to renovate my apartment.

I would like to have in ceiling speaker in my bathroom.

I see they are sold as pair, I think only one would be enough in this room.

my question is:

Can I put on speaker in my bathroom and one other in the kitchen for example.

and connect them to the same connect amp but use it as different channel?

also what kind of wires do you recomand?

and my ceiling will be made from Ba13, would that do the job? Won’t there be vibrations? Should I add like mdf plate on the back of ba13 for better support?

Thanks 

Mael

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 21 October 2021, 14:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Amp is configured as a Stereo output and you can’t separate the channels to two monos.  SO whilst you could adjust the balance to play which ever speaker/room you need it is not an ideal solution.

Do you not have room for a Sonos One in the bathroom?

The Amp is configured as a Stereo output and you can’t separate the channels to two monos.  SO whilst you could adjust the balance to play which ever speaker/room you need it is not an ideal solution.

Do you not have room for a Sonos One in the bathroom?

On the Sonos Amp (current sold amp), you can set it up so that both speaker outputs are mono.  However, both speakers play the same source at the same volume.  I am pretty sure the same applies for the older Connect:amp. I would not recommend putting one speaker in the bathroom and one in the kitchen for this reason.  

You don’t need to use the Sonance speakers sold at sonos.com with Sonos amps though.  For a  bathroom space, it makes a lot of sense to use a stereo input ceiling speaker (both left and right audio channels in a single speaker), preferably one that is rated for humid locations.  This speaker is a good example.  Sorry, I’m not familiar with retailers in France.

I’m also not familiar with speaker wire options in France.  Generally, you wanted wire that is rated for in wall use, meeting local code restrictions.  The size of the wire depends on the distance between your speaker and amp.

However,  I do agree that an amp and speaker will cost a lot more than a single Sonos One.  If you have a place to put the speaker, and local laws allow you to put electrical devices in a bathroom, then I would consider that.

Userlevel 7

If you use the newer Sonos Amp rather than the older and discontinued Connect:Amp to power the in-ceiling speakers, you can set the Amp to Dual Mono mode. When in this mode, a mono signal is sent to all speakers regardless of connection to an L or R terminal.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3626?language=en_US

But keep in mind that an Amp acts as one zone, meaning all speakers wired to a single Amp will play the same content at the same volume. So whatever you play in the bathroom will also play in the kitchen.

Here is the recommended speaker wire gauge:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4764?language=en_US

Thank you all for your feedback, glad that I asked the question before. 
then I’ll think I’ll go for the sonos one, it will look less nice than in ceiling speaker but it will cost less and will do what I was looking for.

thanks 

Mael