I've talked myself into a weird setup

• 30 December 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge
I have about a 2,000sq foot open concept ground floor that is sort of horseshoe shaped and includes an office, dining room, living room, kitchen and den in one sort of continuous wrap around area. I want to fill it with sound from lots of sources for a very wide sound stage for music. My budget is about $1,600 so here is what I'm looking at: Starting on left end of horseshoe a play 1, then progressing into the living room a Play 3. Corner of living room a sub, opposite side of living room going into kitchen a play 3, far end of kitchen in den area a play 1. Pair both 3s in stereo and true play tune w sub. Pair both play 1s in stereo mode as well so you stand in center you have a play 1 and 3 on the left as left channel and a play 1 and 3 on right as a right channel. Group the whole thing together.

My reasons are as follows.....2 play 3s and two play 1s (all are 15 feet from each other) are better sound stage than a pair of play 5s. I want to be able to stand almost anywhere in house and still find myself BETWEEN two speakers.

A pair of play 3s plus sub should give an overall better sound than 2 play 5s and no sub. The play 3s have 3amps, a tweet and two mid speakers each where as a play 5 has 6amps, 3 tweeters and 3 mid woofers. For the extra $100, a pair if 3s is obviously better for sound stage than a single 5. Plus you get a total of 4 mid speakers vs a single 5s 3 mid woofers. You give up a single tweeter but I have that more than covered with the extra play 1s.

Concerning those mid woofers, I believe the bass crossover will render some of the 5s capabilities untapped while the extra mid range capabilities of the 3s will be put to better use in conjunction with a sub. Notice I said "some", not all, although I have read in multiple places that pairing a sub off loads a portion of the adjoining speakers Low frequency tasks onto the sub and utilizes the freed up power in the mid range,...I'm sure those mid woofers in the 5s can certainly produce some rich mids....it doesn't seem like it's being fully utilized as I said.

If Money were no limit I'd put play 3s on the edges and a pair of 5s in the living room but I'm trying to maximize value, A 3 and a 1 is $30 cheaper than a 5 right now and I can separate them for soundstage. Saving $200 a piece on the 3s vs the 5s means a sub is only an extra $200 over the costs of two 5s and after hearing the sub, I absolutely believe two 3s and a sub for an extra $200 sounds better than two 5s.

A couple more thoughts. I'm told the 5s are overkill as rears for playbar but the 1s and 3s are perfect, so I have full intraoperability to customize as I want later.

So, 1,600 for 5 speakers vs about the same money for 3 speakers (two 5s and a sub) and have two 5s that I wouldn't want to ever pair with a play bar and have less soundstage, potentially unused bass and potentially weaker mids and highs. Also about $400 cheaper than two 1s and two 5s and $600 cheaper than two 3s and two 5s.

Okay....thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge
Alright let me simplify this post rather than the long post above:

I decided to put to play 3s in the "front" with a sub in the corner and two play 1s in the "rear" as the best possible mix of sound and value.

Play1s in the rear almost like back channels in surround sound and 2x play 3s and a sub over just 2x play 5s.

Okay, see if thats easier to reply to.
Not sure what type of reply you seek, It seems like you have put a lot of thought into the plan, and it seems to meet your needs and budget. Note that you will be able to group them all together to play at the same time, but grouping is temporary and will not persist throughan update or a power loss. The stereo pairs + Sub are persistent because they are bonded, and bonding is semi-permanent.

Only one thing I can add: If you wish to save a little more, the Play:1 is a newer generation, benefiting from Sonos' long research into quality sound, and is generally thought to be as good as the Play:3 sound-wise. The only thing it lacks is a little bit of the bottom, but when bonded with a Sub, there is no reason (IMHO) to use a a pair of Play:3s instead of Play:1s.
Badge
Thanks thats actually helpful. I like the extra driver you get in the 3s but i can certainly see how future expansion would onky require 1s!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
So... I may be a bit controversial for you given your last comment, and It is clear you have considered this in detail.... first... I don't think you can go to far wrong here.... all of what you are suggesting will work and will sound good... but... after listening and listening... I just can't bring myself to buy a 3. For the cost and comparative sound quality, I'd go with jgatie and get all 1s, or consider two 5s and two 1s without a sub at all - it obviously depends greatly on what music you listen to and how much bass you demand, but the 5s really are fantastic. (Truth is... So are the 1s depending on space.) The sound comparisons somehow don't seem to line up the what the technical specs imply in my opinion. Honestly when I listen to my 5s (primarily for music) I'm perfectly happy not having my sub connected to that room and space... (the sub is part of a 5.1 for movie sound).
Badge
Thank you. I am going with a playbar, sub and 2 play 3s for the rears and putting a play 1s in the kitchen and wifes office.

I think it worked out good. Even Sonos own reps told me the 5s is just flat out over kill to use with 5.1 and the sound is pretty full throughout the house when group everything together.

If the wifes asleep i can listen to the single play 1 in the kitchen while getting a midnight snack and she can do the same in her office at 5 am when she starts her day and im still sleeping.

Only thing is i cant easily seperate the 3s.

Would i get a better overall experience if i use the 1s as rears and use the 3s in the kitchen and office?

Sonos wasn't clear on this...one rep said use the 1s for surround because the rear channel doesn't get much audio but another write up saud use the 3s in the rear for really large areas, which this is.

I'd put a pair of 1s or a 5 in the bedroom but im currently using a Marshall Stanmore in the bedroom.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Would i get a better overall experience if i use the 1s as rears and use the 3s in the kitchen and office?

Sonos wasn't clear on this...one rep said use the 1s for surround because the rear channel doesn't get much audio but another write up saud use the 3s in the rear for really large areas, which this is.

If you are using one unit in each room ( kitchen & office) I would use the Play3 and use the play1 pair as rear surrounds. As "singles" I think you will be happier with the play3. You can always turn up the volume on the play1 if you feel you are not getting enough coverage or get two more play3 and move the play1 to another part of the house. - Kris
Thank you. I am going with a playbar, sub and 2 play 3s for the rears and putting a play 1s in the kitchen and wifes office.

I think it worked out good. Even Sonos own reps told me the 5s is just flat out over kill to use with 5.1 and the sound is pretty full throughout the house when group everything together.

If the wifes asleep i can listen to the single play 1 in the kitchen while getting a midnight snack and she can do the same in her office at 5 am when she starts her day and im still sleeping.

Only thing is i cant easily seperate the 3s.

I'd put a pair of 1s or a 5 in the bedroom but im currently using a Marshall Stanmore in the bedroom.

I know its off the topic, but would you trade it for Marshall Kilburn and Marshall Stockwell combined? If no, please explain why. Thanks