How to design a Sonos system with CD, turntable and TV

• 17 December 2021
  • 12 replies

Hi Sonos community,

I’m setting up a home audio system from scratch. I want it to support the following audio sources:

• online streaming audio (naturally)
  • TV
  • turntable
  • CD player

I don’t have a receiver so i was looking at the Sonos Amp. This seems to be perfect for online streaming and TV but sadly has just one input (pair of RCAs) so I can connect a turntable or a CD player but not both.

It looks like my options are:

• Buy a receiver and a Sonos Port and connect all the sources, including the Port, to the receiver. I’m a little cold on this as I’ve read some bad review about sound quality from the Port (e.g here and here).
  • Buy a Sonos Amp and find a way to use the single input for both the CD player and the turntable, perhaps with a RCA switch (clumsy) or daisy-chaining the sources (is this even possible?).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. it seems like I’m not trying to do anything too strange here.

Kind Regards,

Matt

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You could connect the turntable and CD player to a preamp or receiver and connect the tape output to the Sonos Amp.  The preamp or receiver would have a phono section which would be needed for the turntable as the Sonos amp is line level.

Forget the CD player.  I had a CD player connected to my ZP80 way back in 2008 and I used it exactly once.  Playing from a ripped local library has so many advantages, you will never use the CD player.  Trust me, if you insist on a CD player instead of ripping your CD’s you are wasting your money.

I agree with @jgatie , although I find i use my ripped music to a rapidly diminishing extent, and stream over the internet 99% of the time nowadays. 

I accept that some people just like physical media, and that’s a legitimate preference.  Is there any other reason you want to play physical CDs?

hi @mattfitz my two cents here: I am using a port to connect my vintage hifi with pre-amp where I have my CD connected, while my TV is attached to a Beam - it works all very well and I am happy with the sound quality

Forget the CD player.  I had a CD player connected to my ZP80 way back in 2008 and I used it exactly once.  Playing from a ripped local library has so many advantages, you will never use the CD player.  Trust me, if you insist on a CD player instead of ripping your CD’s you are wasting your money.

Yeah, I agree completely. The CD player is entirely for my wife who has a a strong sentimental attachment to physical CDs. We might go down this path if we end up not actually playing the physical discs which I suspect will happen.

I agree with @jgatie , although I find i use my ripped music to a rapidly diminishing extent, and stream over the internet 99% of the time nowadays. 

I accept that some people just like physical media, and that’s a legitimate preference.  Is there any other reason you want to play physical CDs?

The CD player is really to keep my wife happy. She loves them as they were a big part of her youth, it’s a nostalgia thing which I’m happy to go along with.

The CD player is really to keep my wife happy. She loves them as they were a big part of her youth, it’s a nostalgia thing which I’m happy to go along with.

Happy and, I would suggest, very wise.

Hi looking for help to use my port for receiver with turntable and cd player, speakers all  are connected to receiver. The port is connected to receiver as input 2. How can I connect the port to play on the sonos arc and speakers in another room?

A line level (tape, preferably) output on your receiver to the line in on the Port. Note that there will be a small delay on the line in, around 75ms, but if the Sonos speakers being played are in another room, you probably won’t notice. 

Userlevel 7

Edit: Replied to a post that was TWO YEARS OLD 🤓 Duh!

A line level (tape, preferably) output on your receiver to the line in on the Port. Note that there will be a small delay on the line in, around 75ms, but if the Sonos speakers being played are in another room, you probably won’t notice. 

Thanks. I have output on line 4 on the receiver. Would I use rca male to male?

If that’s what the receiver is looking for, yes. The Sonos Port’s input and outputs are RCA, certainly.