Skip to main content
Question

home cinema and beyond

Hi folks,  looking for some advice as a total novice!   Purchased the arc and sub mini and want to create a home cinema.  Am I right in saying best to purchase  2x Eras as back speakers? 
I also want to purchase a turntable for another room.  Best speakers for that would be? I’m thinking 2 x era 100 as the room is long.  
If I  want to connect it all together and share the experience in different rooms. What do I need?  A port or an Amp or both ?  
thanks in advance 👍🏼. MA

3 replies

The Sonos Ultimate Guide to Sonos Home Theatre.. is it  5.1.2, 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 System?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-a-sonos-home-theater

You may also find this additional information perhaps helpful aswell…

In any Sonos HT system you can only attach/bond two rear channel left/right surround speakers and either one, or two, Subs (one must be a G3 Sub), or alternatively you can use one Sub Mini.

The front channel left/right speakers are built-into the main Sonos HT products, such as the Beam (gen2), Arc etc. so you cannot add speakers to replace those front channels.

You can ‘group’ (not bond) Sonos rooms together however and this works great for music playback, but note that any rooms grouped with a Sonos HT for playback of TV audio will have a 75ms audio buffer delay - if the grouped speakers are in the same room you may notice an echo effect across such grouping.

There are tools in the Sonos App however to help address this sync issue - see this link for further information:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tv-audio-and-video-are-out-of-sync

Note: the ‘TV Dialog Sync’ feature will of course buffer the TV audio output and that ‘may’ lead to you noticing lip-sync issues with the video display on screen.

Also note some surround soeajers have line-in ports and Bluetooth RX and may be advertised as having Apple AirPlay capabilities, however these features are disabled when a priduct is used as a surround - the Sonos Soundbars though do have AirPlay themselves, so you can still use that to play music from your iOS device to the HT setup.

A few other ‘perhaps’ helpful links here too:

Hope that information assists.

You may also find this additional information perhaps helpful aswell…

In any Sonos HT system you can only attach/bond two rear channel left/right surround speakers and either one, or two, Subs (one must be a G3 Sub), or alternatively you can use one Sub Mini.

The front channel left/right speakers are built-into the main Sonos HT products, such as the Beam (gen2), Arc etc. so you cannot add speakers to replace those front channels.

You can ‘group’ (not bond) Sonos rooms together however and this works great for music playback, but note that any rooms grouped with a Sonos HT for playback of TV audio will have a 75ms audio buffer delay - if the grouped speakers are in the same room you may notice an echo effect across such grouping.

There are tools in the Sonos App however to help address this sync issue - see this link for further information:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tv-audio-and-video-are-out-of-sync

Note: the ‘TV Dialog Sync’ feature will of course buffer the TV audio output and that ‘may’ lead to you noticing lip-sync issues with the video display on screen.

Also note some surround soeajers have line-in ports and Bluetooth RX and may be advertised as having Apple AirPlay capabilities, however these features are disabled when a priduct is used as a surround - the Sonos Soundbars though do have AirPlay themselves, so you can still use that to play music from your iOS device to the HT setup.

A few other ‘perhaps’ helpful links here too:

Hope that information assists.

This is brilliant !  Thank you for attaching the links.  Will have a read through and decide what’s best.  👍🏼👍🏼