Answered

Headphones to connect to SONOS?

• 24 May 2018
  • 5 replies

SONOS wireless headphones?
icon

Best answer by ratty 24 May 2018, 10:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Been asked about for years. Never going to happen IMO.

Plug a CONNECT into a wireless headphone transmitter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Or grab a gently used Gen 1 Play 5 that has a headphone out.

I used to do both and found it quite handy. Now I just plug my hearing aid streamer into my Connect and skip the headphones.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos headphones would sell like hotcakes at any pricepoint. I dont think the tastemakers at Sonos have a clue how their customers listen to music
Sonos headphones would sell like hotcakes at any pricepoint. I dont think the tastemakers at Sonos have a clue how their customers listen to music

I am pretty sure they've done a lot more research on the subject than you have. Personally, i would not buy a set of headphones that only works in my home wifi range...and i already have a pletheta of options for corded and bluetooth headphones.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I am pretty sure they've done a lot more research on the subject than you have. Personally, i would not buy a set of headphones that only works in my home wifi range...and i already have a pletheta of options for corded and bluetooth headphones.

I agree I peronally would probably not buy them myself either. Sonos to me is for listening throught the house, not for concentrated (audiophile stereo sweet spot nonsense) or private (headphones) experience, so as you say a limited use case. However the way you or I choose to consume music has little bearing on whether such a product is needed and is as equally valued or invalid as any other ‘research’. But judging by the number if times the subject comes up on here there is certainly some demand. Though my personal guess is that it is niche in the same way as a full fat HT requirement is niche for the majority of customers.

Assuming there is enough demand for either Sonos or a more established headphone maker to offer such a product under license is another matter, and as Sonos is a small and relatively slow product developer, capacity to focus on such a niche is likely very limited. Maybe something else will mayerialise now that the ‘works with sonos’ initiative is gathering steam.

Everyone has different needs, price sensitivity and wishes. Fact one person would balk at £500 on a pair of Sonos headphones when they can buy a cheaper connect, and use with other things as well as a wireless headphone transmitter, to others the cost might be trivial and they’d prefer the simplifity of a product that works without multiple add ons.

The more interesting discussion is how such headphones would work. What would battery life be like. Would they be bulky to accommodate the hardware, how would they work in a mesh environment - Sonos have nothing in their range that is designed to be mobile that would help define such an experience.