Skip to main content
Question

Era 300 vs architectural in-ceiling speakers for bedroom

• 15 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I'm building a new house and debating which way to go for the master bedroom. 

Option 1: two 6in Sonos architectural speakers in-ceiling on the two side of the bed. This will be a very clean look, since the speakers won't be visible. However, it will cost around $1250 for speakers and amp, plus wiring costs. Since this is a new construction, I can do the wiring without any issues. Assume I would get nice immersive audio with proper stereo affect when I'm in the bed. 

Options 2: one Era 300 on the side table towards the right of the bed at the wall. This will be a very cheap option, with Era 300 refurbished units going for less then $400. It won't be a bad look as well, since I have a side table where this can go. However, I wonder if this will not be very immersive, as you would hear music coming from one side when you are on the bed. 

Options 3: have two Era 300s on stands at the opposite wall from where the bed is. I feel this will give an immersive experience. It will cost much less than the in-ceiling speakers, but will look less clean, as I will have two speakers on stands now. 

Would love to hear what folks would do if they were in my situation. I use the speakers for listening to music. The bedroom is 18 feet wide and 14 feet long. 

Thanks

2 replies

Leaning Era 300s!   Sounds like a great budget option for music, especially with two on stands for a wider soundstage. In-ceiling might be amazing for movies in a living room, but for music in the bedroom, the Era 300s could be perfect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

In ceiling is great for background music but to me sounds odd for normal listening where you’d expect the stereo image to be closer to ear level. I find them even worse for TV use when the sound is so obviously coming from way above the screen.

In wall speakers really help in this situation but you really need to be sure to get them in the right spot on the first try.