Era 300 or Sonos 5

• 15 December 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

what do y’all recommend for my living room? I currently have Sonos 1 and a Beam. I have a 19’ wide X 25’ long X 12’ tall room. My TV is directly on the wall in the front. 

I am shopping for the sub woofer but not sure what would be best to pair up with the Sonos 1 (thinking putting those in the front book shelves and either the ERA’s or the 5’s in the back

thoughts

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you considered completing your home theater setup by adding a Sub and a pair of surround speakers to the Beam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Not sure which Sonos you have, is it a Sonos One or a Play 1?

Which generation Beam?

Fives are usually overkill for surround use.

For that room I’d go with the full sized Sub, that is a lot of space to fill.

If you have a Gen 1 Beam, Era 100s would be good surrounds, if Gen 2 the 300s would be preferred for Atmos support.

A stereo pair of Fives as front music speakers are pretty good, you might not need a Sub with them. You could test it out using the Sub from your Beam if you added one.

A stereo pair of Era 300s would be good but the odds of your ears wanting a Sub added to them is probably higher than with the Fives.

You could Group the Five/300 pair with the Beam for party mode.

Badge

hey guys, thanks for the information. A couple updates on my current system to Stanley’s questions:

I actually have a Playbar - purchase right around 2020ish. And I have the Model S22 One SL speakers.

I am definitely going to get the large Sub. That said, what way are you guys leaning now that you know I have the Playbar. Should I upgrade to the Arc? Is it worth the cost?

thx guys

I thought it was. It’s slightly wider, giving a wider sound field, and has eARC rather than optical, not to mention the upward firing speakers that are key to Atmos. Granted, I did a comparison separated by 20 minutes, not side by side, but I was pleased. 

Badge

Thx Airgetlam,

So what are y’all’s opinions now on the Eras vs the 5’s. And how do you think in should position them and is it worth the money to move to the Arc? 

Haven’t any personal experience to share at the moment. In my opinion, Fives were always overkill as surrounds, but man they sound great for music. I have them flanking my Arc.

I’m contemplating a pair of Era 300s as surrounds. It would be a lot easier if there was more Atmos content that I watched, but so far Formula One here in the states doesn’t broadcast in it…and I’m fine with the current Atmos situation for when I watch movies. Some day, but not at this moment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m not an Atmos user but if I thought there was any chance I’d be viewing Atmos stuff I’d sure go with the Era 300s for surrounds for the Arc.

Badge

thx gang.. pulled the trigger and bought the large sub and the Era 300’s..

wish me luck setting them up