Enterprise grade: replacement for current vLAN set-up with Play1 over Wi-Fi/Ethernet

• 20 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

Currently we have three pairs of SONOS Play:1’s and we have the issue that the music stops a couple of times a day. However, we don’t see any interruptions in network traffic or latency drops.

Those speakers are connected over Wi-Fi into the ‘SONOS’ vLAN.

To be complete: we are a midsized company (120 employees) with a substantial IT infrastructure: firewalls, vlans, routers, switches, servers etc… Currently we have a ‘SONOS’ vLAN that has no restrictions outbound.

Since this is failing that much, we would like to replace the lot and -whilest we’re at it- extend the installation to a couple of the floors/rooms that aren’t covered for now (only the workshop is covered now). This would probably need about 15 speakers.

We don’t want to buy 15 SONOS sets (whether it’s a ONE or ONE SL or standard speakers connected to an AMP) without being 99.99% sure that this will work.

Please share your experiences in ‘big’ environments.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

(My experience: my home infrastructure exists of 3 ONE’s, 1 MOVE and 1 AMP and that’s working just fine: day in, day out!)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If your source is internet radio, a station will stop a continuous stream after a certain while.  No networking change is going to cure that.

If your source is internet radio, a station will stop a continuous stream after a certain while.  No networking change is going to cure that.

Okay, I can understand that. But after only 4 hours? Isn’t that a bit fast?

At home -which I am well aware is not representative- I can play TuneIn for the entire day without a hassle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are you using a business-legal music service? I would imagine that theydo not have the timeouts that the individual-user services often have.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/business

Are you using a business-legal music service? I would imagine that theydo not have the timeouts that the individual-user services often have.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/business

Unfortunately Sonos for Business doesn’t seem to exist on my locale (Belgium/Dutch).

We use TuneIn, since we’re only interested in playing a local radio (and yes, we’re also paying the taxes for it).