DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM SONOS UNTIL THEY FIX THEIR SOFTWARE!

• 22 July 2018
  • 9 replies

I don't know how long this post will be allowed to stay up, but I hope long enough to warn any prospective buyers. Up until this year, I've been the proud owner of 2 play bars, 2 subs, 3 play 1's, and 1 bridge ($3,500 total). The last few updates have been horrible; they've reduced functionality and crippled mine and others' systems (check the community posts), and even worse, they have not been resolved! They just keep pushing updates with new "features". Save yourself the headaches and hours of frustrating phone calls with their tech support. If they fix their articulated issues then I will greenlight them again, but holy s***, this is the worst case of buyer's remorse I've ever had.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Suggest you fix your CAPS LOCK KEY. I have a similar investment, since the original ZP units/CR100 were released, and remain very happy with them. As your post contains no specifics its hard to offer any suggestions.
My CAPS are fine and with reason. As for the specifics, I said check the community posts. You'll find mine and other people's posts there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great, I'll look there to see if there is anything I can do to help you out.

I'm generally happy with my Sonos gear so I can't complain too much. The controller for Android is a bit frustrating but it is still workable. Only other outstanding issue is the light on one Play 3 is brighter than the other. 🙂
I’m extremely happy with all my Sonos speakers too, never had an update problem, as I have followed the advice in this community and added my IP addresses to my routers DHCP Reservation Table and not had a problem at all over the many years of updates.

I have also scanned my locality to see what WiFi channels are in use by my neighbours, most seem to use channel 6, so I have set my router well out the way at channel 1 and run all my speakers on SonosNet channel 11. So I don’t get any dropouts either, even when running uncompressed Audio around my household.

The other thing I have done, which was important, was to remove my WiFi credentials from the 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' section in the Sonos App... most people forget to remove those when they switchover from a 'Standard Setup' to 'Boost Mode' with one device cabled to the router. These credentials are not needed when running on SonosNet. The credentials are only ever needed when running on the routers WiFi signal.

I personally prefer SonosNet as it’s an exclusive network just for my Sonos devices, rather than running it on the 2.4ghz band of my router with many of my other home networking devices... Just as a matter of cause I try to run most of my other devices in the 5ghz band anyway, wherever that is possible.

I was told by the experienced users here to move my Boost at least 4 feet away from my router, so I did that.

I used to have a Sonos Bridge in my household upstairs but that device developed a problem with its power supply so I swapped that out for a speaker instead. Apparently the power supply issue can occur when the bridge is old and mine was really getting on a bit.

I also don’t use WiFi extenders or repeaters, as this too appears to cause issues if they are not setup correctly and in my experience on this forum, some folk seem to set them up without realising that they are causing more wireless interference, rather than less.

Most posts where users seem to have issues, it usually turns out it is often not actually their Sonos equipment, it’s usually local networking issues because the users sometimes do not understand that side of things. Then they complain it’s Sonos' fault, when actually it turns out to be their own actual network setup.

It’s a shame some users don’t either try to explore their own networking issues for themselves first, or maybe get someone in, who really understands the networking side of things, at least do those type of checks, before laying blame at Sonos' door.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Almost 7 years later and I have no major software issues with Sonos. So my recommendation to the buying public would be the take the plunge if you feel the urge. There will always be naysayers and outliers who think they’re in the majority but they are not.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
No major issues with my set up either, started ‘collecting’ over 10 years ago and have added consistently, with 16 devices all playing happily together. I fact 3 of these were added just today.

Only problems I get is adding new zones can be a little hit and miss once connected it’s rock solid and performs perfectly.

Sonos support is superb always helpful and above and beyond what I expect. They even offered £100 off any new product when they discontinued my CR100, who else supports customers like this?