Does new Amp make Connect redundant?

• 23 April 2019
  • 7 replies

I’ve bought a Sonos Amp to go with my Sonos One and Sonos Connect and hooked up two floors-worth of wired speakers. All working great except I can’t see what value the Connect has any more. It no longer seems to do anything apart from being an Ethernet hub - which the Amp does, too - and enabling additional phono connections - for which the Amp only allows one. Seems I could sell my Connect, right?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Connect is the only Sonos product with RCA stereo output, for use with a 3rd party amp/receiver. If you no longer need this feature (or the RCA input as you pointed out) then it does make sense to sell it.
Thanks Danny. So if I need more phono inputs for the Amp a simple phono switch box would do the job, wouldn’t it?
I'm not that familiar with phono switch boxes, but I don't see why not. Of course, you wouldn't be able to switch inputs through the Sonos app, or play different inputs to different rooms. And technically, it's not a phono input, it's a normal RCA input.
Thanks again, Danny
Userlevel 7
Hi stuartjones63

Just my two cents. :8 The Connect can be used to capture Sonos audio and send it to a pair of powered speakers via its analog or digital outputs. It can also be used to send audio from a CD Player to other Sonos. Just set it up as a room. :)

I've got a Connect that is at present not being used. However, I never know what I might do in the future to have music elsewhere :P

So unless you are absolutely positive you'll never have use for it... then sell it...if not...keep it.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a spare ZP-80, predecessor to the Connect that is now feeding a Bluetooth transmitter that is hooked to my hearing aids. Works pretty good, better than headphones for my ears, only drawback is a lot higher battery drain.
Look around, you might find a use for it. The BT transmitter and battery powered BT speaker option isn't a bad one if you need patio or pool music.